Maintenance Mechanic (Heavy Duty Mechanic or Millwright)
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $3,289.60 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic who will repair and maintain mechanical equipment, perform preventative maintenance and ensure machinery reliability for Operations to maintain the highest standards for water distribution and waste water collection throughout the Field Utilities. You will travel throughout the Metro Vancouver region on a daily basis to our various worksites, working alongside our dedicated teams of operators and tradespeople.
You are: A career oriented, safety conscious, self-starting individual with good mechanical aptitude, skills and ability, focused on good communication and collaborative teamwork. You possess a heavy duty mechanic TQ or a millwright TQ along with relevant experience in the mechanical field.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- Installs and aligns machinery and equipment to specified tolerances.
- Maintains, repairs and overhauls equipment such as diesel/gas engines, electric generating units, high pressure gas and air compressors, gas and air blowers, large pumps, grinders, grit removal vortexes, conveyors, barminutors, reduction gears, heat exchangers, hand and pneumatic valves, overhead cranes, turbines, etc.
- Installs, maintains and services valves, meters, and various piping systems throughout the region.
- Installs, maintains and aligns all conveyor systems chains, sprockets, plates, pumps, drives and compressors.
- Services and maintains all internal combustion engines and keeps engine maintenance records.
- Investigates, troubleshoots, and takes remedial action on problems reported by Operators at different sites.
- Maintains records of completed jobs and shares expertise with Operators on serviced equipment.
- Trains and directs junior Mechanics in maintenance procedures.
- Maintains technical currency related to the trade.
- Assist welders with layout work and provides minor maintenance welding.
- Inventories materials and parts as required for various types of work.
- May act for supervisor as required.
- Works in compliance with all MVRD safety policies, procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 (or equivalent), plus appropriate Trades Qualification certificate (Heavy Duty Mechanic or Millwright)
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience and responsibility in the mechanical field involved in the repair, maintenance and overhaul of equipment.
- Skilled at machine fitting, welding and pipefitting and in the use of micrometers, verniers, gauges, lathes, tapers, reamers, milling machines, etc.
- Must have complete and thorough knowledge of the operation and repair of large pumps, diesels, dual fuel engines and their installation.
- Must be proficient in use of hand tools, power tools, shop tools, bench grinders, lathes, torque wrenches and gas cutting torches and have the ability to interpret blue prints.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision and able to decide on best work methods to be used.
- Ability to comprehend complex operations and theories, requiring analytical skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be computer literate and able to use applications such as Word and Excel, including an ability to understand and apply Computerized Managed Maintenance System (CMMS) and predictive maintenance technologies.
- Considerable knowledge of the MVRD’s safety policies, procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Must participate in and develop Safe Work Procedures.
- Must possess reliable set of hand tools.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position.
- Ability to work shift work as required.
- Valid B.C driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 7, 2020.
National Education Award
Civicjobs.ca supports education in the Local Government sector.
Tools & Resources
Canada’s #1 Local Government job posting website.
Postings by Email
Receive email alerts, or sign up for our weekly e-bulletin.
View Original Source Source