Requisition ID: 30456
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
With nine indoor and five outdoor pools, the Aquatics Program with Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation provides worldclass community programs in various state of the art facilities. Our prized recreation programs are a direct result of the dedicated team who strive to maintain the highest standards of service by giving back to the community in an impactful and rewarding way.
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the Lifeguard/Instructor position to join our aquatics team! If you are interested in joining a dynamic team committed to connecting people to active living as well as making a difference in your community, we encourage you to apply to this opportunity!
Please note that all shortlisted candidates will be required to attend a mandatory aquatic screening assessment on Saturday, May 29th, 2021. Candidates must also attach their certifications to their application in order to be considered.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Swim instruction, pool supervision, maintenance and emergency medical care
- Facilitating safe community recreation for everyone through integration, inclusion, and participation in aquatic recreation
- Providing every member and guest with support and excellence in customer service
- Teaching and evaluating all age groups and all levels of swimming, including specialized areas of instruction
- Supervision of all visitors, administration of first aid
- Performing routine facility maintenance, and other related duties as required
The successful candidate must possess the following current and valid certificates:
- National Lifeguard Pool Option Certificate
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- CPR – “C” Certificate (completed between May 29, 2020 – May 28, 2021)
- Standard First Aid, Aquatic Emergency Care Certificate or equivalent (as deemed by the City of Vancouver and completed between May 29, 2020 – May 28, 2021.
***Certification as a BCRPA Fitness Registered Instructor (Aquafit Module) and Lifesaving Instructor certifications are especially valuable. The City of Vancouver offers Aquafit and lifesaving programs to all members and guests.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Candidates must have the ability to meet varied shift requirements, which may include, weekends statutory holidays, as well as early mornings and late evening shifts.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-13a: $23.76 to $27.92 per hour
Application Close: May 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source