Requisition ID: 30454
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Outdoor Pools and Beaches
As you may be aware the City of Vancouver is opening our Outdoor Pools. We are looking to see who of our regular lifeguards have the qualifications and interest in working at one of our 12 locations.
The Outdoor Pools require the following certificates:
- National Lifeguard Pool certification
- National Lifeguard Waterfront certification
- CPR Basic Rescuer “C” Certificate (completed between May 29, 2020 – May 28, 2021)
- Standard First Aid, Aquatic Emergency Care Certificate (obtained between May 29, 2019 – May 28, 2021)
Outdoor Pools and Beaches
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is inviting applications from interested and qualified candidates for the summer intake of Lifeguard I employees for various outdoor pools and beaches in Vancouver. All shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an aquatic screening assessment scheduled for Saturday, May 29th, 2021
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing general lifeguard duties under the direction of a supervisor, including rowboats and foot patrols
- Supervising and promoting safety and order on public beaches/outdoor pools
- Performing assigned duties to prevent loss of life and damage to property
- Performing lookout duties and administering first aid, if and when required
- Inspecting facilities/vessels for safety equipment
- Performing other related work, as required
Note: Candidates who have not yet obtained their Waterfront certification, but are registered in an upcoming course are eligible to participate in the recruitment process and remain in consideration for these opportunities. Candidates must be able to provide proof of their registration (upon request) and must successfully complete the course requirements and obtain the required certification upon the course completion date to remain in consideration for employment opportunities with the Vancouver Parks Board.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
This position may include working weekends, statutory holidays, as well as early morning and late evening shifts.
Other general duties are outlined below:
- Patrols and/or scans assigned swimming area.
- Makes rescues and renders assistance to bathers in difficulty.
- Administers resuscitation and first aid treatments.
- Checks lifeguard equipment to ensure proper condition and keeps same in readiness at all times.
- Promotes water and beach safety practices.
- Checks beach and pool equipment and areas for condition and cleanliness.
- Performs a variety of tasks such as removing glass, seaweed, and driftwood from beach area, emptying garbage containers, erecting or resetting beach signs and ensuring the cleanliness of the bathhouse and adjacent area.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-315: $30.21 per hour
Application Close: May 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source