Requisition ID: 31337
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is seeking a creative, innovative, and public service oriented Web Librarian to join the Digital Services Team in a six-month temporary full time capacity. In this position, you will support maintaining the Vancouver Public Library website – our flagship communication channel, with over 5 million visits a year. The website highlights our services and collections, and ensures that we provide a seamless and positive user experience.
Reporting to the Assistant Manager, Web Services and Community Digital Initiatives, you will plan and implement changes to existing library websites, develop new website content, conduct user experience tests, and work with stakeholders to design new pages and features on the site. Other responsibilities include: leading small projects, participating in the assessment of web content performance using tools like Google Analytics, and providing troubleshooting and support services to the public and staff. You will work collaboratively with other members of the Digital Services team as well as with colleagues system-wide to achieve VPL’s strategic priorities across the library system.
Qualifications and Experience
This position requires communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively, and thorough knowledge of current trends and best practices in the use of technology in delivering web-based public library services. We are looking for an innovative, flexible individual with a demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships, manage multiple projects and competing priorities, and who is open to change.
The successful candidate will have the following education, experience, and skills:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited school.
- Specific coursework or professional development activities related to web development, human-computer interaction and user experience.
- Providing library services such as programming, information services, working with the community, or collection management.
- Delivering web services, including an understanding of the planning, design, development, promotion, and maintenance of websites.
- Using project management processes, principles, and practices to bring work to completion.
- Gathering and documenting business, functional, and end user requirements.
- Collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to successfully develop and deliver effective user experiences.
- Working in a web development environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge of the broader technological environment, including current and emerging technologies.
- Ability to modify and troubleshoot web layout, design and functionality issues in a development environment using current web coding languages such as HTML, PHP and CSS.
- Keen understanding of the web development cycle, including gathering requirements, design, development, testing and evaluation.
- Ability to configure modules and plug-ins for common web platforms such as Drupal.
- Strong understanding of user-centered design principles, processes and methodologies, and demonstrated ability to apply these to web development projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills evidenced by the ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with colleague, stakeholders across the organization and external partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex and technical information in clear and jargon-free language.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible and future-oriented in a dynamic team environment.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of librarianship and library services.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assigned duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Eagerness to advise and support other staff engaged in web-related work.
Salary range: $33.6 to $39.56 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Mon – 9:00-5:30
Tue – 9:00-5:30
Wed – 9:00-5:30
Thu – 12-8:30
Fri – 9:00-5:30
Mon – 12-8:30
Tue – 9:00-5:30
Wed – 9:00-5:30
Thu – 9:00-5:30
Fri – 9:00-5:30
View Original Source Source