Requisition ID: 30353
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Legal Assistant I – Development and Real Estate will perform senior legal assistant duties for two or more solicitors in the Legal Services Department at the City of Vancouver and will prepare and process a variety of specialized and moderately complex legal documents often independently and will assist lawyers on all aspects of departmental solicitor matters.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Legal Assistant I – Development & Real Estate will report to the Administrative Manager, Legal. Day-to-day direction on Development and Real Estate matters will be provided by the lawyer responsible for the matter. The Legal Assistant I will work regularly with lawyers, legal assistants and with staff in other City departments and externally with legal professionals (including lawyers) and others related to the matter being handled.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Drafts contract language according to precedent, or from rough draft; prepares and processes a variety of legal documents such as: in the conveyancing, leasing of land, licenses, contracts, covenants, statutory rights of way, releases and statutory declarations, Professional Services and License Agreements, Memorandums of Understanding, forms and documents related to Intellectual Property and/or Corporate matters;
- Researches and obtains information and material required from a variety of sources;
- Reviews land title searches for additional documentation requirements such as discharges and assignments and prepares same; prepares documents for registration in accordance with established Land Title Office standards; conducts searches as required;
- Reviews contracts, leases and other legal documents for completeness and accuracy prior to execution;
- processes registrations and prepares releases/statutory declarations as required;
- Liaises with and provides a variety of information and assistance to internal and external contacts; interprets and explains applicable policies, procedures, requirements, forms, documents and regulations;
- Follows up with appropriate departments and external parties to ensure that all City and legal requirements have been met and that matters progess as required;
- Processes routine files and finalizes documentation for execution by senior staff relating to such matters as employment and provision of services to the City;
- Prepares routine and non-routine correspondence;
- Maintains and updates a variety of files and records;
- Ensures that letters of credit are renewed prior to expiration;
- Maintains and monitors BF and limitation date systems;
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by courses in a Paralegal program, plus a minimum of five years’ recent experience as a Corporate/Commercial and/or Development and Real Estate Legal Assistant in British Columbia, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of legal methods, procedures, forms, documents and terminology relating to conveyance of property and other rights and interests in land, including Land Title Office registrations;
- Working knowledge of legal methods, procedures, forms, documents and terminology relating to bankruptcy;
- Ability to prepare, review and process a variety of legal and other documents related municipal land transactions and/or development and leasing;
- Ability to process forms and documentation related to bankruptcies;
- Considerable knowledge of Land Title Office procedures, forms and practice directions;
- Considerable knowledge of BC Companies Office procedures, forms and practice directions;
- Considerable knowledge of legal office or legal department operations, procedures and practices;
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and a demonstrated ability to deal tactfully and effectively with others in the department, internal business partners and the public;
- Advanced word processing skills utilizing the full MS Office suite of tools;
- Considerable skills with a legal document management system and a legal matter management system;
- Skill with and ability to learn and adapt to new computer systems and technology;
- Ability to interpret plans as related to the work performed;
- Ability to identify information requirements and to research and obtain information from a variety of sources and to conduct relevant searches;
- Ability to compose correspondence and perform a variety of tasks in establishing, maintaining and updating a variety of files and records and to perform moderately complex mathematical calculations;
- Demonstrated experience contributing to and creating an environment of continuous improvement;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment within established procedures and guidelines;
- Ability to understand, take direction and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision under considerable time constraints;
- Ability to manage deadlines and competing requests for service, and set priorities appropriately;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in work product.
Business Unit/Department: Law Department (1040)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2021
Position End Date:
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $29.74 to $34.98 per hour
Application Close: June 6, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source