Lead Hand – Utilities Construction #256
Closing Date: January 28, 2021
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for a Temporary, Full-Time Lead Hand – Utilities Construction position until approximately May 14, 2021 or pending return of incumbent! This position performs highly skilled operational and maintenance work of a relatively complex nature under the limited supervision of the Utility Services Supervisor – Construction and/or the Crew Leader – Utilities Construction. Work involves providing considerable supervision to several Equipment Operator, Pipefitter/Layer, and Utility Services Worker positions. The work involves planning, scheduling, and supervising the installation, repair, and inspection of sewer and waterworks piping, water mains, storm sewers, valves, and fire hydrants.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Plans, schedules, supervises, and participates in the installation, replacement, repair, alteration, inspection, and maintenance of all water, sewer and drainage infrastructure.
- Provides estimates on the time, materials, and equipment necessary to perform various tasks.
- Ensures safety of crew and public by identifying hazards and planning work in a manner that protects co-workers, contractors, and the public. This includes reading and interpreting utility plans, scoping and locating utilities, and ensuring work is performed in accordance with all applicable regulations and requirements.
- Records crews’ actions and comments in maintenance management system, GIS, and other systems.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of BC EOCP Level I Certification in the following:
- Water Distribution Systems
- Wastewater Collection Systems
- Valid Class 5 BC driver’s licence.
- Proficient in basic Word, as demonstrated through testing (70% pass rate required).
- Minimum five years’ previous experience installing, repairing, and maintaining water, sewer, and drainage infrastructure.
- Minimum three months’ previous experience supervising crews involved in the installation and repair of underground utility works.
- Three months’ experience, within the last five years, in the principles of underground utility locating with the use of radio detection equipment.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.
This position will receive 14% in lieu of all benefits, vacation, stat holidays, and health time.
Pay Grade: CUPE Outside 13
Hourly Rate: $36.77
Hours & Days of Work:
Monday – Friday
7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (summer)
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (winter)
Hours per Week: 40
Department: City of Kamloops -> Civic Operations -> Utility Services
Position Type: Temporary Full-Time
Reports To: Supervisor Utilities Construction
Close Date: January 28, 2021
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
View Original Source Source