Requisition ID: 31239
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Landscape Development Specialist performs specialized technical work of a landscape architectural nature involving responsibility for reviewing proposed landscape plans and specifications submitted for Development Applications, working collaboratively with other departments on site coordination, providing guidance to the public and applicants and assisting with research on sustainable landscape development.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs development related work including screening and processing development applications and working collaboratively with Development Planners and Project Coordinators during the review of conditional permit applications. Reviews are performed to ensure projects meet provisions of the Protection of Trees Bylaw, Design Guidelines, various planning policies and address goals of the Urban Forest Strategy, Access to Nature and Green Infrastructure initiatives.
- Performs collaborative inter-departmental problem solving with Park Board and Engineering to ensure coordinated site plans regarding tree retention and protection, utility placement and site access.
- Provides general landscape development advice through Enquiry Counter. (currently provided through email and phone service)
- Performs research tasks as required.
- Considerable independent judgement and action is exercised in the technical aspects of the work, while unusual or controversial maters are discussed with a superior.
- Work performance is reviewed in terms of conformance to established policies and procedures, efficiency in time management and the quality of services rendered.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation in Landscape Architecture plus sound related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge and recent experience in: landscape architectural design principles, methods and practices and landscape construction methods and materials and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable by-laws and regulations and of the departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing the work; knowledge of green infrastructure and arboriculture practices and principles;
- Working knowledge of current development practices and urban design principles.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to interpret and explain applicable by-laws, regulations and related requirements to same; ability to perform a variety of inspectional, investigational and evidentiary duties related to the work.
- Membership with the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects is desirable; and eligibility to be certified by the International Society of Arboriculture is desirable.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: November, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: June 20, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source