Requisition ID: 29573
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Landscape Architect I performs professional and administrative work of moderate complexity in Engineering related to public realm planning and landscape architecture. This position is responsible for the preparation of conceptual plans, detailed designs, graphic presentations and development of cost estimates for assigned transportation projects and for carrying these projects through to completion. In addition, the position provides professional guidance to technical and operational staff and to outside consultants and contractors, and assists a superior in the administration of the Transportation Division.
This position reports to the Senior Engineer and provides technical guidance to operations and to outside consultants and contractors.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides landscape and urban design leadership, forward thinking, policy and design expertise
- Works cross-functionally with other City departments and community stakeholders.
- Provides project management for specific implementation projects with an emphasis on landscape architecture and public realm design
- Prepares plans and graphic materials to support the exploration of design concepts.
- Prepares detailed landscape design drawings for construction; including specifications for grading, site layout, materials, street furniture and planting
- Prepares cost estimates for public realm and landscape projects
- Provides professional guidance to technical and operational staff and to outside consultants and contractors
- Examines and checks plans, produced by others, in the preliminary and working drawing stages for suitability of layout, accuracy, constructability and accessibility
- Reviews and provides direction on landscape design proposals for rezoning and other development applications
- Assists the manager in the administration of the branch
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- University graduation with specialization in landscape architecture
- A minimum of two years’ experience in landscape design and development or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Landscape Architect in the Province of British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of landscape architectural principles, methods and practices
- Considerable knowledge of landscape construction methods, materials and ongoing operations and maintenance needs
- Knowledge of governmental, legal and financial procedures for municipal development and of the City by-laws relative to infrastructure implementation
- Strong knowledge or skill in preparing visual concept plans, presentation materials and using computer software such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint, AutoCAD, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and SketchUp.
- Creative and innovative team player
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing and managing consultant contracts, including scopes of work, requests for proposals and contract execution
- Ability to prepare preliminary drawings, sketch plans, construction drawings, specifications and cost estimates for a variety of transportation projects
- Ability to provide field reviews and evaluation of public infrastructure installations during and post construction
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, consultants, contractors and other employees
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade 29: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: June 13, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source