Requisition ID: 28093
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City of Vancouver has adopted the Rain City Strategy, an ambitious and award-winning long-term plan to capture and treat 90% of Vancouver’s average annual rainfall through the implementation of green infrastructure (GI) on public and private property throughout the City.
As part of Vancouver’s inter-disciplinary Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch, the Landscape Architect supports both internally and externally designed green rainwater infrastructure projects within streets and public spaces with a focus on conceptual design, detail design, preparation of construction drawings and construction administration for project implementation.
This position will report to the Senior Design and Construction Project Manager and be part of an inter-disciplinary design team with expertise in engineering, landscape architecture and urban ecology. The Green Infrastructure Landscape Architect will work collaboratively with branches across Engineering Services including Transportation Design, Streets Design, Streets Activity and Sewer and Drainage Design, Street Operations as well as many other partners outside of Engineering.
The position will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in climate mitigation and adaptation and holistic, integrated approaches to water management and green infrastructure. The work will help shape a more livable, equitable and resilient city that helps protect water quality, revive its urban watersheds and ecosystems while supporting green jobs and urban development.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide landscape and urban design leadership, forward thinking, policy and design expertise
- Work cross-functionally with other City departments, external agencies and community stakeholders
- Retain and evaluate landscape design consultants, as needed
- Provide project management for specific implementation projects or components of the implementation plan development with a heavy emphasis on green infrastructure landscape design
- Prepare concept design, detailed design, and specifications for internal construction and Tender documents
- Provide strategic and technical expertise for major, city-led planning or policy initiatives that require an integrated approach to rainwater management
- Review and provide direction on integrated rainwater management proposals for rezoning and other development applications
- Prepare plans and graphic materials to support the exploration of design concepts and implementation plan proposals
- Prepare policy reports, presentations, letters and memos and assist with Council reports
- Provide professional guidance to technical and operational staff and to outside consultants and contractors
- Assist the manager in the administration of the branch
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree with a specialization in landscape architecture
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the BC Society of Landscape Architecture or Canadian Society of Landscape Architecture
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in landscape and urban design, preferably involving public infrastructure
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Creative and innovative team player
- Extensive knowledge of integrated rainwater management and green infrastructure policy, planning, design, and/or operations
- Demonstrated ability as a Project Manager with strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of landscape construction methods, materials and ongoing operations and maintenance needs
- Experience developing budgets and estimating time and material requirements, costs and specifications covering design work
- Experience providing field reviews and evaluation of green infrastructure installations during and post construction
- Experience developing and managing consultant contracts, including scopes of work, requests for proposals and contract execution
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge or skill in preparing visual concept plans, presentation materials and using computer software such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Sketch Up
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work independently in producing construction drawings with AutoCAD, IFC drawings and specifications
- Ability to develop plant lists and planting plans based on sound research and field findings of successful green infrastructure landscapes
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: April 18, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source