Labourer – Roads
Competition # 21-001
Status: Temporary Full-time CUPE
Department: Engineering Operations
Salary: $29.29 per hour
Closing: January 10, 2021
Come grow with us! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication & great customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
This is manual maintenance and construction work of some variety and complexity, which requires the performance of skilled and semi-skilled tasks. The duties may involve hazardous working conditions, specialized skills, and the incumbent may be assigned to various supervisors.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Considerable experience in civil construction and Municipal maintenance work. Some training and knowledge in the operation of small power equipment such as saws and rollers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and materials used in civil construction and Municipal Maintenance work;
- Must have the ability to understand, carry-out and effectively communicate to fellow employees, oral and written instructions from a supervisor;
- Considerable skill in the proper and safe use of a variety of hand and power tools related to the work;
- Ability to keep simple records of the work performed;
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions;
- Ability to respond to after hours emergencies;
- Must show independence of judgment in the performance of duties and work with a minimum of supervision;
- Knowledge of and ability to operate: small rollers, a variety of power saws, jack hammers, oil sprayers, vibrators, concrete mixer and drive light duty trucks.
LICENCES & CERTIFICATES:
A valid class 5 BC Driver’s License with a safe driving record is required.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- You must have an interest and ability in dealing with the public, be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
- Works with a crew to complete assigned tasks in a professional and competent manner. The employee should have knowledge of construction techniques.
- Ability to operate light to medium duty trucks occasionally;
- Performs skilled and unskilled labor to ensure the efficient operation of the division in accordance with departmental and divisional policies;
- Ability to use power tools such as cut off saws, compactors and experience working with Asphalt black top and Concrete placing and finishing preferred;
- You may also be required to work in the Sewers and Waterworks division on a as need basis;
- As part of the application process we require you to upload your drivers’ abstract.
- Possession of a valid B.C. Class 3 Drivers License c/w air brake endorsement or heavy equipment operation experience will provide added opportunity for advancement;
This is a temporary full-time position for approximately six (6) months which may be extended or concluded at any time based on operational needs. Please note there are five (5) temporary full-time positions available.
View Original Source Source