Labour Relations Advisor
WHO WE ARE
As a recognized leader in emergency communications, E-Comm is an organization that provides first responders and the public with critical life-safety services in communities across B.C. Our people are passionate about their work and public safety. We operate two emergency communications centres – one located in Vancouver and one in Saanich. E-Comm also provides integrated police and fire call taking and dispatch services to more than 70 police and fire departments and owns/operates the largest multi-jurisdictional, tri-service wide-area radio network in B.C. We are proud to serve communities across this beautiful province through our four operational and administrative locations in Vancouver, Burnaby and Saanich. Learn more at www.ecomm911.ca
WHO YOU ARE
We are looking for an individual who thrives on making a difference and who embraces challenges, variety, diversity and our corporate values of respect, integrity, collaboration, accountability and service. Reporting to the Human Resources Program Manager, the Labour Relations Advisor is responsible for providing high-quality advice and support to management, employees and the HR team in the interpretation and application of the collective agreement and related letters of understanding on a wide range of labour relations topics and issues. The LR Advisor supports the collective bargaining process and represents management in conflict resolution processes. Also participates in the formulation and delivery of tactical plans to support E-Comm’s labour relations objectives, assists in the early identification and resolution of issues, and fosters a positive union-management environment.
- An ambitious person who has demonstrated abilities and organization skills in a fast paced, dynamic working environment?
- An experienced and engaging communicator with considerable experience interpreting complex labour relations issues to team members and leaders with varied backgrounds and knowledge?
- Focused and self-motivated?
- A person who strives for performance excellence and is proactive in taking ownership of your actions and behaviors?
- Curious and always taking the initiative to improve processes?
- Committed to being honest and trustworthy while conducting yourself in a way that is ethical and reliable?
- Resourceful and responsive to internal team members and external clients?
- Innovative and look for solutions when confronted with challenges?
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Provide advice, guidance and coaching to managers, supervisory staff and employees on issues related to labor relations including grievances, employee complaints and/or accommodations. Responsibilities may include administrative case management, conducting investigations and providing recommendations.
- Represent management in handling conflict resolution processes, including grievances, appeals, and provides support to Manager in arbitrations. Researches background information interviews the relevant parties, documents findings, develops recommendations and prepares backup materials.
- Participate in the collective bargaining process, providing input to bargaining strategies and conducting research on workplace issues, grievance-related trends, historical practices, case history, precedents, relevant legislation and other labour relations topics. Also carry out analysis of proposals and related cost/benefit; prepare bargaining materials; draft collective agreement language.
- Provide input to the development of tactical plans to support E-Comm’s s labour relations objectives. Assist in the early identification and resolution of labour relations issues, and the development of a positive union-management environment. Identify and escalate the more complex, critical labour relations matters to the Manager’s attention.
- Support investigations of alleged breaches of the respectful workplace policy, summarize investigations, and recommend corrective action in consultation with the Manager.
- Develop and maintain relationships with union leaders and representatives and participate in dialogue to resolve day-to-day labour relations issues.
- Provide labour relations guidance to the HR Team.
- Ensure advice complies with the collective agreement, legislative requirements, industry standards and corporate policies.
- Create and implement reporting metrics using a variety of technical systems that support the needs of the business.
- Represent HR on matters related to Corporate Security.
- Coordinate the job evaluation process and liaises with the employee, manager and the compensation analyst to develop, revise and evaluate all job descriptions; update, and execute all outcomes pertaining to job reclassifications and control and maintain all position data.
- Develop and implement training related to labour relations and employee relations for managers and supervisors.
- Research, write and produce a variety of reports with recommendations on human resources programs, draft policies, strategic plans, projects and tactics.
- Perform related work as required.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices relating to labour relations and conflict resolution processes, including grievance management.
- Knowledge of the collective agreement, human rights code, employment standards act and other regulatory requirements.
- Proven communication skills to provide guidance and expertise to leaders on a wide range of labour relations matters, and to handle conflict resolution processes.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills to conduct research and make recommendations in support of labour relations issues.
- Diploma or degree in Human Resources or related field and four years related experience in a unionized environment involving the administration of collective agreements, participation in collective bargaining, handling grievances, and advising management in the resolution of a wide variety of labour relations issues.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
- Required Police Security Clearance applicable to the position must be acquired and maintained.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Meaningful work – work with a sense of purpose, supporting the public and first-responders.
- Competitive salary – with the opportunity for increases.
- Generous vacation plan.
- Excellent extended health and dental benefits.
- Pension – we are members of the Municipal Pension Plan, a defined benefits fund.
- Career development – we are supportive in developing your skills while pursuing your career at E-Comm.
- Number of positions: One (1)
- Job status: Temporary Part-Time
- Hours of work: 32 hours per week
- Employee Group: Exempt
- Department: Human Resources
- Location: E-Comm Lower Mainland – 3301 E. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC
- CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday, March 19, 2021 @ 11:59pm Pacific Time
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and application at www.ecomm911.ca/join-our-team/apply-now
View Original Source Source