Laboratory Technician 2
Parks & Environmental Services – Environmental Protection
Regular Full time
Hours of Work
35 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$33.35 – $37.85 per hour
Shift as required for operational requirements
Job Share, 50% – Article 12.11
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on October 27, 2020 however will remain open until filled
The Laboratory Technician 2 performs routine and non-routine laboratory analyses of water samples. Operates, and maintains, and troubleshoots laboratory instrumentation. Follows all SOPs, work instructions, and quality assurance/quality control procedures. Records, verifies, and reports data in written and electronic form and ensures quality control criteria are met for all reported data.
This position is a part time regular job-share position. The shift will be as required for operational requirements.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Using written standard operating procedures, performs routine and non-routine physical/chemical and bacteriological analyses on water samples (eg source reservoirs, streams, treated water) using methods involving microscopy, spectroscopy, and colorimetry and procedures including filtration, titration, centrifugation, sterilization, biochemical identification, volumetric, and gravimetric techniques.
- Receives samples, verifies submission forms, notes discrepancies, and advises supervisory or field staff as appropriate.
- Prepares standard solutions, chemical reagents, and microbiological media, ensuring performance criteria is met in accordance with written procedures.
- Cleans, sterilizes, calibrates, maintains, and ensures laboratory instrumentation meets expected performance criteria and quality control checks.
- Documents and troubleshoots nonconforming equipment, quality control data, or results and provides input into corrective actions.
- Assists in update and revision of controlled documents.
- Calculates, records and verifies that data meet quality objectives, including meeting QC criteria.
- Identifies nonconforming or anomalous data and notifies appropriate staff.
- Enters verified laboratory and field data into the Water Quality Information System database.
- Records and charts quality control data, notifying supervisor of unusual trends and anomalous results.
- Participates in quality assurance activities, including internal and external audits and proficiency testing studies under direction of supervisor.
- Maintains laboratory records.
- Verifies analytical data and documents, investigates, and resolves data anomalies; informing the supervisor appropriately.
- Communicates verified laboratory data to appropriate internal and external stakeholders as directed
- Participates in occasional laboratory tours for the general public and/or other agencies.
- Assists in training and directs technical work of auxiliary laboratory employees.
- Maintains strict adherence to safety requirements
- Follows all policies, procedures, and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Post-secondary degree in a biology, chemistry, microbiology, or related field and 2 years of directly related work experience, or diploma in biology, chemistry, microbiology or related field and three to five years’ directly related work experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills are required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, procedures, practices, techniques, tools and equipment used in an analytical laboratory testing water samples.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of quality systems in a laboratory setting
- Proven ability to operate, maintain, and systematically troubleshoot and resolve laboratory instrumentation issues.
- Sound judgment, good organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Proficiency and experience with word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel) and a Laboratory Information System.
- Knowledge of WHMIS as it pertains to an analytical laboratory setting.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
View Original Source Source