Laboratory Assistant I
Position Status: Auxiliary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2020)
Department: Water Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: Lake City Operations Centre
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 13 $23.44 – $27.45 hourly
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant I who will provide support to the processes of the laboratory by preparing, cleaning and maintaining a variety of media, glassware, equipment, and supplies.
You are: Self-motivated, physically fit, organized, multi-tasking, and able to work individually and within a team.
- Weighs, mixes, prepares and dispenses into test tubes a number of media used in the Microbiology Laboratory using chemicals such as sodium thiosulfate, according to specific instruction and established procedures.
- Washes, sterilizes and shelves all glassware and bottles for Microbiology Laboratory, treating specified sample bottles with preservative as part of preparation.
- Prepares dilution water and fills, caps and sterilizes dilution bottles for laboratory work.
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory support duties such as cleaning and maintaining laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of Grade 12 with courses in science; no experience required, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working knowledge of various laboratory support schedules, routines, procedures, apparatus and safety precautions related to the work.
- Some knowledge of the purposes and objectives of the laboratories.
- Ability to prepare media, dilution water and specified bottles using chemicals such as sodium thiosulfate, according to established procedures.
- Ability to clean, set up and store fragile apparatus.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to meet established schedules.
- Ability to perform physical tasks requiring bending, stretching, pushing and lifting.
- Good mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity and preciseness.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by November 3, 2020.
View Original Source Source