Vancouver Island Regional Library
Vancouver Island Regional Library
IT Project Manager
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Information Technology, the IT Project Manager is responsible for the successful planning and implementation of a portfolio of IT projects and services, and delivering upon the demand from clients through Business Relationship Management.
The IT Project Manager will foster a culture of excellent project leadership, proactive communication and client/user centric decision-making. They will ensure the successful delivery of a wide range of IT projects, which support the vision, mission and strategic goals of Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) and provide high quality tools and services for VIRL staff and customers.
The IT Project Manager will manage and mature VIRL’s IT project processes. Working collaboratively with the IT Operations Manager, they will build a transparent environment between projects and operations and ensure that documentation, change management, problem management and other key elements of ITIL are implemented and followed.
The IT Project Manager will demonstrate a thorough understanding of VIRL’s 21st century services, including our significant investment in digital library content, our sophisticated customer discovery tools, our role in teaching digital skills, public computing services and extensive digital communication channels. The IT Project Manager will work as a collaborative partner with other members of VIRL’s leadership team, ensuring that IT services and tools enable and support VIRL’s success in these areas.
- Plans and delivers all assigned IT projects.
- Maintains a record of all delivered, active and future IT projects to an audit ready standard.
- Defines the scope, goals and deliverables of each IT project.
- Identifies the tasks and resources required to successfully complete IT projects.
- Assembles and leads project teams made up of IT staff, other VIRL staff and external resources.
- Builds, monitors and actively manages project schedules and timelines, often for simultaneous projects.
- Continuously monitors progress, making use of tools such as status updates, project plans and key data.
- Works collaboratively with facilities and other VIRL business areas on projects where IT capability is needed.
- Manages and oversees project documentation.
- Introduce and maintain relevant ITIL based services.
- Guide the adoption and use of a service management platform.
- Uses and contributes to the development of VIRL standard process for project execution and planning.
- Ensures proactive communication and provides regular project updates to the Assistant Director, Executive Leadership Group, and all other relevant stakeholders.
- Leads quality assurance (testing of changes, user acceptance, signoff).
- Ensures that all anticipated project benefits are realized.
Representative Duties Continued:
- Manages Information Technology staff including:
- Delegate, schedule and assign work priorities.
- Monitor throughput metrics, identifying and addressing any performance and productivity deficiencies.
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentorship.
- Responsible for recruitment, attendance and performance management, and the implementation of disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
- Ensures that all VIRL IT projects include technical training for IT staff, end user training for non-IT staff and thorough documentation of systems and processes.
- Identifies, communicates and manages risks associated with IT projects.
- Ensures that all projects reflect a strong understanding of the library’s role and a shared commitment to excellent public service.
- Develops and maintains project and project management templates.
- Preserves VIRL’s data and assets by ensuring that appropriate disaster recovery and back-up procedures and information security and control structures are considered and included in each project.
- Works collaboratively with the IT Operations Manager, to ensure excellent communication and a collaborative environment between projects and operations, and to ensure a thorough hand off of all projects to the Operations team.
- Adheres to VIRL’s IT governance and control framework, including policies, standards, and guidelines. Provide input into the development of relevant policies and guidelines.
- Reports on key performance indicators, ensuring that the team is meeting goals.
- Participates in the IT Steering Committee, a cross functional advisory team which informs the priorities and portfolio of programs and initiatives within the IT division.
- Work with the purchasing division to procure goods and services within assigned IT budgets, working within VIRL’s procurement policy and guidelines.
- Work with and manage the performance of IT vendors and contractors.
- Manages assigned project, resource, operation and capital budgets.
- Ensures that all VIRL infrastructure, applications and services comply with BC’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and related regulations. This includes managing the Privacy Impact Assessment process for any changes or new digital services.
- Contribute to the development of project business cases with appropriate cost/benefit analysis and technical expertise.
- Maintains currency and knowledge of industry best practices, market trends and new and evolving service offerings.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of a Degree, Diploma or Certificate in the computer science field.
- Completion of a Business Degree or Certificate is preferred.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification (or other comparable designation)
- Experience with Business Relationship Management and/or Business Analysis methods
- ITIL certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience leading, developing and implementing IT projects
- Experience deploying and managing Virtualization, Converged Infrastructure, Cloud Computing, Mobile Workforce, Networking, SAN, and Disaster Recovery.
- Demonstrated professional development, including relevant certifications
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience managing a program or portfolio of IT projects.
- Experience using a range of project management and communication tools and software.
- Knowledge of Business Analysis processes and/or Business Relationship Management.
- Experience negotiating and managing information technology contracts.
- Experience managing staff, project teams and divisional budgets.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (both written and verbal) including the ability to lead effectively by example.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, define and respond to customer needs.
- Thorough understanding of the requirements outlined in the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, related regulations and public sector best practices.
- Experience with public procurement processes, including developing project requirements and specifications, and evaluating responses.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with technologies related to Network Architecture, Security, Firewalls, Communications, TCP/IP, VPN, Anti-spam, Intrusion Detection, Replication, Backup/Restore is an asset.
- Critical thinking, organizing, problem solving and prioritizing skills.
- Experience implementing and executing risk management, audit and compliance protocols.
You should also know:
You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle given that there will be travel to various VIRL Branches or potential VIRL Branch locations. You will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
Our Mission is to enrich lives and communities through universal access to knowledge, lifelong learning, and literacy. Our Vision is to develop strong library branches that are vital community destinations for knowledge, inspiration, innovation, and renewal.
Vancouver Island Regional Library serves over 430,000 people through 39 branch locations on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Bella Coola on the central mainland coast, and through our eLibrary at www.virl.bc.ca.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is located at our Administration Office:
6250 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N3
Please reference the Competition No.: EX2020-43 in the subject line of your email when submitting your cover letter and resume to HR@virl.bc.ca.
Your cover letter should clearly identify how you have the knowledge, skills and experience to be successful in this position.
This position closes on January 12, 2021.
VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Your Voice. Your Library
View Original Source Source