Requisition ID: 28953
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Health Facility Attendant I oversee the operation of the Evelyne Saller Health Centre, in the absence of the Health Centre Coordinator, ensuring that patrons are able to access personal hygiene programs and services in a safe, welcoming and respectful manner. This position involves personal care and manual work including delousing, laundry and shower services, first aid, monitoring and distributing donations, routine cleaning of equipment and work area, maintaining daily usage stats, and making client referrals where appropriate. This position also oversees the work of volunteers under the guidance and support of the volunteer program staff.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the Health Coordinator.
- Supervises volunteers in the Health Centre.
- Works collaboratively with other Health Centre Staff and the Volunteer Program Staff to deal with volunteer issues, concerns and scheduling.
- Works collaboratively with the Security staff to ensure Centre Rules of Conduct and Health Centre policies and procedures are being observed by patrons.
- Maintains positive working relationships with patrons, volunteers, housing operators, suppliers and contractors.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and positive environment for staff, volunteers, patrons, and community members to access health and hygiene services.
- Working tactfully and compassionately with individuals who may be drug/ alcohol addicted and /or isolated through poverty, homelessness, mental illness, or other factors of social exclusion.
- Ensuring all equipment in the department is in clean, safe operating condition and reporting any need for repair to the Health Centre Coordinator.
- Supervising and providing guidance, support, direction, and coaching to volunteers in the delivery of basic health related services including laundry, showers, management of free clothing donations and haircuts.
- Monitoring patron behavior and ensuring that Centre rules and standards of behavior are being observed and report to security as needed.
- Providing encouragement and support to volunteers and patrons in need and working with individuals in modifying behavior to Centre standards.
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships and appropriate professional boundaries with staff, volunteers, and community members.
- Dealing tactfully with difficult issues and handling (or directing to the Health Facility Coordinator) complaints from volunteers/staff/ and patrons concerning the Health Services in the Centre.
- Assessing clients for lice, scabies and bedbugs etc; providing accurate information to clients regarding necessary procedure to address their treatment needs and coordinates or administers lice and scabies treatments when appropriate.
- Administering basic first aid and maintaining applicable records.
- Perform laundry and shower duties,
- Clean and replenish supplies in showers, laundry room and office area.
- Maintain daily services stats.
- Make referrals to community agencies as needed.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, preferably with some experience in working with individuals impacted by marginalization or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Occupational First Aid & CPR
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of personal hygiene and treatment procedures for lice and scabies.
- Working knowledge of community resources available and applicable to clients.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to deal effectively and tactfully with difficult or potentially volatile situations.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, and as part of a larger team.
- Working knowledge of materials, methods and simple equipment used in cleaning work.
- Working knowledge of the use and maintenance of laundry equipment
- Ability to assess a client’s hygiene needs.
- Understanding of the needs and challenges of persons impacted by marginalization; including poverty, homelessness and social isolation.
- Ability to assume responsibility for the Health Facility, as required, and maintain simple records.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position; sufficient to perform a variety of personal care and manual tasks.
- Skill in the use of automatic laundry equipment.
- Some computer skills.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-014: $24.36 to $28.55 per hour
Application Close: May 2, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source