Health Facility Attendant I
Requisition ID: 25613
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Evelyne Saller Centre serves as an important resource to Vancouver’s diverse Downtown Eastside community. Patrons participate in the recreational, cultural and social programming and essential health services offered.
The Health Facility Attendant assists in the oversight and operation of the Evelyne Saller Health Centre. This position ensures that patrons are able to access personal hygiene programs and services in a safe, welcoming and respectful manner.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Reports to the Health Coordinator
- The Health Facility Attendant position involves manual work
- Responsible for the laundry, shower, first aid and other hygiene services offered to Evelyne Saller Centre patrons and Downtown East Side community members.
- Responsible for monitoring and distributing donations
- Supporting volunteers
- Routine cleaning of equipment and work area,
- Maintaining daily usage statistics
- Making client referrals where appropriate
- Monitoring patron behavior and ensuring that Centre rules and standards of behavior are being observed and report to security as needed
- Dealing tactfully with difficult issues and handling (or directing to the Health Facility Coordinator) complaints from volunteers/staff/ and patrons concerning the Health Services in the Centre.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the eleventh school grade, preferably with some experience in dealing with the socially and economically disadvantaged, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- St. John Ambulance Safety Certificate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of the needs and challenges of persons impacted by marginalization; including poverty, homelessness and social isolation.
- Ability to assess patron’s hygiene needs including assessing clients for lice, scabies and bedbugs etc; providing accurate information to clients regarding necessary procedure to address their treatment needs and coordinates or administers lice and scabies treatments when appropriate.
- Ability to administer basic first aid and maintaining applicable records.
- Working knowledge of community resources available and applicable to patrons.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to deal effectively and tactfully with difficult or potentially volatile situations.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, and as part of a larger team.
- Working knowledge of the use and maintenance of laundry equipment.
- Ability to assume responsibility for the Health Facility as required, and maintain simple records.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position; sufficient to perform a variety of personal care and manual tasks. This position requires standing, lifting, bending throughout the shift.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-014: $24.36 to $28.55 per hour
Application Close: February 14, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source