City of Port Alberni
Health and Safety Coordinator
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
We are currently looking for a Health and Safety Coordinator to join a progressive and dynamic organization that provides a full range of programs and services to taxpayers. This position reports to the Manager of Human Resources.
This position is responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of the City’s occupational health and safety program, including its return-to-work program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Promoting and supporting occupational health and safety in the workplace
- Acting as a resource for all health and safety initiatives for the City
- Advising staff on applicable legislation and regulations, programs, procedures and best practises
- Facilitating and supporting the City’s return-to-work program in conjunction with department managers, WorkSafeBC and health care professionals
- Supporting managers and employees in conducting hazard assessments, safety inspections and investigations, and developing safe work procedures
- Maintaining the City’s WorkSafeBC Certificate of Recognition (COR) program and conducting internal audits as required
- Organizing and delivering various health and safety training programs
- Reviewing and updating safety program materials and policies; compiling and analyzing safety statistics; maintaining safety-related records
Qualifications & Experience:
- Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety plus 1 to 2 years of related experience, preferably in a municipal setting. An equivalent combination of education and directly related experience may be considered.
- A sound knowledge of occupational health and safety principles, practices and regulations.
- Previous experience instructing courses and conducting public education sessions.
- Completion of supervisory training.
- Demonstrated competency using various computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Current OFA Level 1 (or equivalent) and CPR-C/AED certifications.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and access to a personal vehicle.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with all City departments, and a variety of external contacts; ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and self-direction; ability to multi-task and prioritize a high volume of work.
- The successful candidate will be required to attain the certifications required to instruct OFA Level 1, CPR-C/AED and Red Cross Standard First Aid, as well as complete the Certified Internal Auditor certification (through the BC Municipal Safety Association) within 6 months.
This position is within CUPE Local 118 and the current rate of pay is $34.92 per hour. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check. For additional information, including a full job description, please go to http://www.portalberni.ca/employment-opportunities.
Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30pm on March 22, 2021:
Krista Bodin, Manager of Human Resources
City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
View Original Source Source