Requisition ID: 31398
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is specialized, supervisory technical work, in the provision of stage services for a variety of shows, productions and presentations in the Civic Theatres. The incumbent performs the duties of Head Stage Carpenter in all of the Civic Theatre Venues. The Stage Carpenter is responsible for coordinating and controlling the work of all stage departments and crews to achieve the lessee’s theatrical objectives in the safest and most cost-effective manner possible, advising and assisting theatre lessees on a variety of operational policy matters, and ensuring compliance with such policy if required. Considerable independence of judgement, action and initiative are exercised in all aspects of the work. Assignments are received from the Senior Manager of Production, who evaluates work performance in terms of the attainment of technical and operational objectives. This position will be based out of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre but will be expected to work in all VCT venues.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees all stage technical operations, liaising between all stage departments, the Licensee’s representatives and contractors, and the Theatre’s Audience Services Department, Building Management Department and Administration.
- Ensures that all work is done according to established safety standards and that all equipment and materials meet safety standards.
- While recognizing that the casual stage technicians are the employees of the Licensee and in coordination with the Licensee’s representative(s), the Stage Carpenter is responsible for: determining that all called employees are present and taking corrective action if not; recording/reporting late arrivals; completing daily time sheets; coordinating all crew breaks, rest periods, call backs, changes in crew; delegating work assignments; crew discipline; liaising with the union shop steward regarding any contractual disputes; compiling, preparing, distributing and maintaining all applicable paperwork; participating in production meetings and Licensee discussions as required.
- Has a thorough working knowledge of the applicable collective agreements, interprets their provisions fairly and consistently, and advises Licensees of all options available for the most cost-effective results. Provides estimates of crew costs to Licensees and updates Licensees as and when changes occur.
- Investigates and reports all incidents and accidents where injury or damage occurs, or could occur and initiates corrective action where required.
- Supervises and coordinates; the load-in, assembly, erection, hanging, building, modification and maintenance of all production equipment and supervises and coordinates the disassembly, packing and load-out of all production material and equipment as well as restoring the theatre’s facilities in preparation for the next licensee. Has a thorough working knowledge of current theatre technology: sound, light and video production.
- During rehearsals and performances, liaises with Audience Services for opening the house, starting the performance and for any other special requirements and ensures needed services are provided to the Licensee and their artists and staff.
- In emergency situations (fire alarm, injury, illness) the Stage Carpenter is responsible for life-safety in the backstage area and for coordinating with other departments in ensuring the safety of all personnel, and audience members according to the established safety and evacuation policies and plans.
- Establishes and maintains effective and inclusive working relationships with and between Licensees, theatre staff and stage crew.
- Recognizes that all licensees have an equal claim to service, balancing their needs with their available budget.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a minimum of grade 12 supplemented by technical courses/certifications related to the work.
- Preference will be given to the candidates with proven track record in performing arts venues. Extensive experience as a stage carpenter, stage rigger/counter-weight fly operator with a high level of familiarity with the requirements and practices of stage lighting, stage sound, props and wardrobe.
- Minimum of the equivalent of two years as a Head Stage Carpenter in a comparably sized theatre with comparable programming, preferably in a similar multi-theatre complex to Vancouver Civic Theatres.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge of: scenery construction, assembly and handling; stage draperies and drapery track; counterweight flying systems, hemp rigging, stage rigging practices, ropes and knots used in the theatre; stage hardware and fasteners; safe operation of applicable hand and bench mounted power tools; stage terminology and practices.
- Knowledge of computer systems to be able to create and manipulate spread sheets and word processing programs, enter and draw reports from a database and the ability to use or learn to use CAD or Vectorwroks. Knowledge of Ungerboeck (USI) Event Based Management System adequate to maintain event files, complete data entry of all relevant event information.
- Knowledge of safe working practices in the theatrical environment and the ability to increase the level of knowledge as regulations are developed for the industry.
- Considerable knowledge of the staging requirements of a wide variety of theatrical productions and presentations. Ability to provide the services needed when a Licensee does not have a production staff of their own.
- Ability to attend courses and acquire certification as requirements develop.
- Ability to read and understand plans and ‘blueprints’, shop drawings, and hanging plots, and coordinate with lighting and sound design staff and equipment rental companies.
- Good understanding of stage automation and automated rigging.
- Ability to understand and implement the applicable collective agreements and administrative policies and procedures of Vancouver Civic Theatres.
- Ability to advise and assist Licensees and other contacts on a variety of technical stage matters, operations, facilities, policies and requirements.
- Ability to work irregular hours and long days with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide leadership and exercise a high degree of initiative and authority to meet production deadlines; to work to earn the respect and cooperation of Licensee representatives, crew and theatre staff.
- Ability to meet and liaise with a wide variety of internal and external contacts with tact while instilling a high level of confidence.
- Ability to prepare and maintain a variety of financial records, reports, estimates and related material.
- Large scale touring experience is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: IATSE 118
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-083: $38.74 to $42.13 per hour
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Application Close: July 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source