Requisition ID: 29134
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The GIS Technician is responsible for carrying out tasks related to the GIS (Geographic Information System) and CADD (Computer-Aided Design and Drafting) Services Branch’s provision of geospatial services to the City and its departments. Those services include supporting GIS and CADD applications and data, providing training, writing documentation, and supporting a variety of business applications and data. Tasks for which this position is responsible require working knowledge of computers, data concepts, GIS and CADD software and applications. Tasks are of an intermediate nature combined with basic hardware and software support.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing PC-based mapping, graphics and data functions to create and maintain GIS and CADD datasets
- Creating custom tabular or cartographic output
- Creating map layers and CADD resources for GIS applications
- Conducting data and functionality tests and validation for GIS systems
- Conversion of spatial and non-spatial data
- Assisting with and delivering GIS/CADD training; assisting in resolution of issues related to GIS/CADD
- Creation of system and user documentation related to GIS and CADD
- Assisting in the testing of new and changed GIS and CADD applications
- Installing and/or configuring desktop GIS/CADD software
- Working with third-party reporting software packages and basic macro creation in desktop productivity tools
- Maintaining a basic level of currency in information technology equipment and procedures in general; and in personal computers, peripherals, and Windows-based desktop productivity software in particular
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by successful completion of basic computer training, CADD and GIS courses at the vocational or technical school level. Sound related work experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience with technical work of a sub-professional nature employing computer-related hardware and GIS/CADD software; combined with a minimum of one year experience in basic GIS support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of CADD tools and principles including sound knowledge of and experience with three of the following technologies, and a willingness and ability to learn the others: ESRI ArcGIS products, CADD (AutoCAD-based products), Safe Software FME, Google Maps Platform, Oracle Spatial and SQL
- Working knowledge of manual and computer-assisted mapping standards and procedures applicable to a municipal environment
- Thorough knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and their use in a municipal environment and of their interaction with CADD systems and business processes
- Working knowledge of information technology including Microsoft operating systems; office productivity software; network, client-server, relational and object-oriented concepts
- Working knowledge of the organization of the City and its departments
- Working knowledge of modern office procedures and equipment
- Some knowledge of the operations, procedures and policies of various city departments
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships at all levels in the organization, and with external clients
- Good organizational skills and ability to work effectively with changing and competing priorities with frequent interruptions within a multiple task environment
- Demonstrated excellence in providing customer service are highly desirable
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2021
Position End Date: December 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: May 2, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source