Gardener 1 – Semi-Skilled
West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, sport amenities, public beaches and over 100 kilometres of urban and wilderness trails. We are looking for employees that have a passion for public service and strive to make a difference. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs vital to our community. Be part of our team.
The West Vancouver Parks Department is currently seeking a permanent full-time Gardener 1 (Semi-Skilled). Reporting to the Parks Maintenance Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Performing a variety of semi-skilled horticultural work in planting, cultivating, fertilizing and pruning flower beds, shrubs, trees, lawns, hedges, and removing debris;
- Maintaining perennial gardens, preparing and maintaining flower beds, grass maintenance, shoveling soil and/or mulch as needed, natural plantings, order plant material, planning and record keeping;
- Supervising the work of one or more assistants;
- Answering a variety of questions from the public regarding horticultural work and/or park facilities; and
- Performing related work as required.
The preferred candidate will possess: considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in gardening and horticultural work; good knowledge of plant material; and excellent interpersonal skills to meet the public and answer a variety of questions related to horticultural work and park facilities. The following certifications would be considered an asset:
- Completion of a Diploma or Degree in Horticulture or a similar discipline; or,
- Landscape Horticulture trade;
- ISA certification; and,
- Pesticide Applicator Certificate.
During the assessment process, successful candidates will be required to submit an acceptable Driver’s Abstract from ICBC.
The successful candidate is required to supply a criminal record check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the class specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department and on WestNet.
WVMEA (Union) – Permanent, Full-time
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$35.33 per hour
11:59 p.m. on Sunday, February 21, 2021
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Portal on our website at www.westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source