City of Surrey
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
Guided by the Department’s emphasis on service, diversity, honour, respect, and teamwork, the Surrey Fire Service provides support to the residents, communities, and businesses of Canada’s 12th largest city. We are looking for resilient, adaptable candidates who have goals & values that are aligned with those of the Surrey Fire Service, to provide the best emergency response and fire prevention initiatives possible. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are highly motivated and seeking a lifelong challenging and rewarding career as a firefighter.
Successful candidates will be required to perform a variety of job functions including, fire suppression activities, assisting at medical incidents, fire inspections, fire prevention education, community initiatives, working with our communications professionals within the dispatch centre and other related duties as required.
Union – IAFF – Regular Full-Time
Minimum requirements to apply:
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (you must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant).
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent.
- Two years or more of accumulated work experience after high school completion.
- Valid Class 3 or Class 1 Driver’s License with air brake endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted) and a safe driving record.
- A current BC EMA Licensing Board First Responder License or higher level of EMA License (EMR, PCP, ACP). We do not accept OFA licensing.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal).
- Physically and psychologically suitable for the position of firefighter.
- Successful completion of the Surrey Fire Service Basic Firefighting Knowledge Course* or equivalent**
* The Surrey Fire Basic Knowledge Course is an online course where students will learn the knowledge required to be a firefighter. Students who require this qualification will be given opportunity to sign up for the course following the psychometric assessment review.
** Equivalency for the Basic Knowledge Course is considered to be applicants with NFPA 1001, Level 1 or Level 2 IFSAC or ProBoard certifications.
Preferred Qualifications: These additional skills and experiences will enhance your application but do not replace the minimum qualifications:
- 30 post-secondary credits or one year minimum in a trade’s apprenticeship training program (you will be asked to submit transcripts).
- Past experience in any of the following: emergency services, structural firefighting, forest fire service, police, Coast Guard, EMS, military, health care, Search and Rescue or lifeguarding.
- A history of volunteerism and community participation.
- Experience in team-oriented activities.
- Coaching, teaching, or instructional experience.
- Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers and computer programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
View Original Source Source