Requisition ID: 31968
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Financial Reporting Accountant II is responsible for:
- The accounting and financial reporting of assigned City funds, tangible capital assets, reserves and other financial items including preparing annual financial statements, monthly reports and complex financial analyses.
- Supporting operating departments to ensure compliance with financial reporting policies, standards and business processes and systems.
- Development of the City’s financial reporting capability through policy and financial system development.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
- Reporting to the Manager of Financial Reporting, the Financial Reporting Accountant is a member of the Financial Reporting team. The incumbent works very closely and coordinates specific activities with the Manager of Financial Reporting, FP&A Financial Analysts and other Financial Reporting team members. The position provides financial reporting support for various business units as assigned.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Financial Reporting and Accounting
- Prepare complete fund financial statements and information for consolidated financial statement notes.
- Prepare supplementary schedules and reconciliations for reserves, tangible capital assets and other financial items to ensure their accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare complex accounting entries as required related to reporting responsibilities.
- Prepare audit working papers, analysis and documentation as needed.
- Prepare and maintain policies and procedure manuals for the position.
- Review and interpret a variety of agreements, reports and correspondence related to the generation and recording of accounting information.
- Analyze financial statements and information and prepares summaries so that senior management has meaningful and timely information for making financial decisions.
- Provide advice and assistance to departments on appropriate accounting treatment towards effective management of financial responsibilities.
- Assist the business units with yearend adjustments and ensure the timely reversal of year end accruals.
- Participate as a subject matter expert in the design, implementation and documentation of various modules and applications of the financial system; undertaking problem-solving and/or project assignments of a financial reporting nature.
- Plan and lead multi-month financial projects designed to improve the City’s reporting capability.
- Undertakes assignments to research, develop options and make recommendations related to accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Participate in testing, data conversion and implementation of various modules and applications of the financial management system.
- Review, develops and makes recommendations regarding changes to the accounting procedures; implements improvements and documents approved changes.
Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A professional Canadian accounting designation
- Considerable years of accounting experience, in a large organization, preferably within the public sector and a union environment; preference will be given to those with 5+ years
- Experience in Fund Accounting preferably in a municipal environment and familiarity with PSAB standards and local government regulatory requirements would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective problem solving ability is supplemented by strong analytical and organizational skills, excellent oral and written communications and strong interpersonal skills.
- Advanced proficiency with in MS Excel and other desktop productivity tools.
- Understanding of complex ERP systems including modules for project, plant maintenance, real estate billing, asset accounting and report development tools is required.
- Able to demonstrate a service oriented approach to providing assistance and advice to internal and external customers.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $42.96 to $50.76 per hour
Application Close: July 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source