Facilitator “Whatever Program”
West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, sport amenities, public beaches and over 100 kilometres of urban and wilderness trails. We are looking for employees that have a passion for public service and strive to make a difference. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs vital to our community. Be part of our team.
The Community Services Department has an opening for a Facilitator for the ‘Whatever’ Program. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator who will prioritize the meaningful engagement and participation of LGBTQIA2S+ youth in our programs; is open-minded and genuine; and is able to establish and maintain effective relationships with LGBTQIA2S+ youth. Additionally, they will act as a positive role model for all, and will assist in providing information to, and appropriate referrals for, LGBTQIA2S+ youth.
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience in creating and maintaining safe, inclusive and fun environments for LGBTQIA2S+ youth; exhibits knowledge of the issues, needs and concerns of LGBTQIA2S+ youth and their psychosocial development; is able to identify appropriate ethics and professional boundaries in working with LGBTQIA2S+ youth; and has the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a diverse community setting.
Reporting to the Youth Services Program Coordinator and the Youth Outreach Team, the Whatever Program Facilitator is responsible for:
- facilitating a variety of social and recreational activities and events for LGBTQIA2S+ youth (13 – 18), primarily in a drop-in setting;
- ensuring the meaningful involvement of LGBTQIA2S+ youth in the development, planning and execution of the various programs and events;
- supporting the functioning of the Whatever Youth Committee (setting dates, preparing agendas, distributing minutes, meeting reminders, etc.);
- promoting the Whatever Program in community;
- opening and closing youth facilities, and monitoring and reporting out to staff regarding safety, security and maintenance requirements of these facilities and related equipment;
- enforcing rules and regulations in youth facilities, plus reading and preparing routine reports, providing drop-in statistics, and overseeing a youth-run concession and handling low-value cash transactions during shift;
- attending staff meetings and training;
- working collaboratively with all Community and Youth Services staff; and
- performing other related work as required.
The preferred candidate will have completion of Grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary courses related to the work (i.e. Child & Youth Care, Recreation, etc.) plus related lived, professional and/or volunteer experience to demonstrate required skills, or an equivalent combination of training and afore-mentioned experience; and current Emergency First Aid (or better), CPR ‘C’ & AED certification.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workplace, and strive to meaningfully reflect the community we so proudly serve. We encourage Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBTQIA2S+, and persons with disabilities to apply.
The successful candidate will be required to supply a police information check and a copy of their credentials.
Hours of Work:
Approximately 5 hours per week including Thursdays from 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm. Hours and days of work vary.
Rate of Pay:
$20.00 – $25.00 per hour plus 4% in lieu of benefits, depending upon experience and qualifications.
11:59 pm on Monday, March 8, 2021
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source