Delta Police Department
Executive Assistant to the Deputy Chief
Department: DPD Administration – Executive
Employment Group: Exempt
Job ID: CE21-02
Hours of Work: Standard 35 hour work week
Pay Rates: $62,559 – $74,604
The Executive Assistant to the Deputy Chief Constable (“D/C”) will be expected to represent the Office of the Deputy Chief Constable in a professional manner with the highest degree of diplomacy and discretion. This position provides administrative and organizational support to the Deputy Chief Constable and Chief, the Police Board and the management team of Delta Police Department as required.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
- Manage and maintain D/Cs schedule, establishing priorities and efficiencies, coordinate calendar of appointments, invitations, conferences, seminars and other commitments. Ensure that all relevant materials are compiled for each event and also organize required travel and accommodations.
- Coordinate all arrangements for a variety of meetings and committees, preparing agendas and related materials, recording and preparing minutes and conducting follow-up on outstanding action items with meeting and committee participants.
- Act as key liaison for the D/Cs office, screening all calls and visitors. Includes interacting with all levels of staff, government and external organizations and the general public. Respond to requests, queries and complaints, providing information or referring to others as appropriate.
- Prepare a wide range of materials, reports and statistics, collecting and compiling information from a variety of sources. Compose correspondence and draft presentations.
- Plan and coordinate special events, organizing facilities, catering, gifts and other related materials within a designated budget. Coordinate invitations, registration and logistics with event participants and other event coordinators.
- Manage internal inquiries and maintain high levels of internal customer service relating to staff requests, inquiries or concerns.
- Manage internal communications from the D/C to members, staff and volunteers.
- Process and maintain a wide range of documents and records, including highly confidential and sensitive materials, developing document storage systems and ensuring efficient access and retrieval of documents as needed. Includes reviewing and processing all mail and email.
- Continuously assess administrative procedures, processes and systems, developing and implementing improvements to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the office.
- Provide leave coverage for Executive Assistant to the Chief Constable.
- Assist the Superintendent of Human Resources, preparing materials for promotional process and NCO School.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters, exercising a high degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion, ensuring the security of the information and maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Proficiency in formulating accurate letters, templates, spreadsheets and related correspondence, transcribing minutes and proofread reports and documents as requested.
- Ability to deal effectively, tactfully, and diplomatically with a diverse variety of people (internal and external) in a timely manner.
- Ability to deal with a high volume of work and meet tight deadlines by prioritizing work effectively and efficiently; balancing conflicting priorities in order to manage workflow.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, identify problems, and take appropriate action or refer problems/issues to the appropriate people when necessary.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of Police, City Council, Police Board, and Government practices and cultures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Senior Management Team as well as other internal/external stakeholders and the general public so that an effective line of communication exists between all.
- Ability to work independently, exhibit sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction. Display initiative and willingness to take on new challenges and tasks.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task, have excellent time management skills and maintain a clean, organized and professional looking workspace
- Display a professional and courteous attitude and demeanour at all times, and maintain a positive attitude that communicates job-related issues with a constructive, problem solving approach.
- Able to use standard office equipment. Adept at using Microsoft Office, virtual meeting software (including Zoom and MS Teams) and other business software and able to adapt to new technology.
- Strong and accurate keyboarding skills (60 wpm)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
High School Grade 12
PREFERRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Two (2) years post-secondary education in a related field, plus a minimum of five (5) years of senior level Executive Assistant experience; or a combination of education and experience.
- Experience in research and appropriate referencing will be considered an asset.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS AND REISTRATIONS
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License for British Columbia
- Obtain enhanced security and criminal record clearance, and maintain as such throughout employment.
- Will be required to sign an attestation of confidentiality.
In addition to a competitive salary, the Delta Police Department offers a comprehensive Benefit package, including Extended Health, Dental, Life Insurance, and Municipal Pension Plan contribution.
In order to be eligible for employment with the Delta Police Department, you must be either a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, and be at least 18 years of age.
View Original Source Source