City of Revelstoke
P.O. Box 170, Revelstoke, British Columbia V0E 2S0 revelstoke.ca
POSITION PURPOSE STATEMENT
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Administration (DOCA), the Executive Assistant is accountable for all administrative assistant and clerical duties including confidential information and dealings for the Administration Department. The position contributes to the overall administration of the Administration Department by helping ensure that all matters of the department are dealt with in a highly competent and professional manner.
This position description is meant to be illustrative of the duties entailed in the position and is not intended to be exhaustive.
- Liaise between numerous community groups; committees; the public; Federal, Provincial and Local Government offices.
- Works with the public, elected and appointed bodies in a cooperative, information assistance and support capacity.
- Composes effective internal and external correspondence and communications under supervision of the DOCA.
- Answers incoming telephone calls and responds to inquiries from the public.
- Schedules appointments for the Administration Department.
- Word processes correspondence, reports, bylaws, minutes, articles, memorandums, forms and other documents.
- Works with the Mayor and elected officials handling confidential situations and correspondence.
- Maintain master register of all City bylaws.
- Drafts standard bylaws with input from various Department Directors and Managers.
- Processes, records and files bylaws after adoption by City Council.
- Update and consolidate City bylaws for website and Corporate Administration directory.
- Administration of See Click Fix program.
- Distribution of bylaw enforcement issues.
- Act as the City’s portal for all Bylaw Enforcement issues, providing guidance and support to the Bylaw Compliance Officers.
Contracts and Agreements
- Maintain register of City contracts and agreements for renewal.
- Refer contracts/agreements due to expire to DOCA and appropriate Department Heads.
- Drafts standard contracts for renewal with input from the DOCA.
- Prepares Council and Committee agendas, and distributes as required.
- Attends Regular Council and Committee of the Whole Meetings and other meetings as required to record and transcribe minutes
- Acts as the alternate for the Manager of Legislative Services for recording and transcribing minutes for In-Camera Council meetings and In-Camera COTW.
- Prepare letters and reports in response to decisions of Council from Council minutes (Alternate for In-Camera).
- Refer matters of business and follow up from the minutes to appropriate department heads.
- Assists with Municipal Elections.
- Coordinates appointments and meetings for the Mayor.
- Assists elected officials with communications.
- Registers Mayor, Councillors, and the Administration Department for conventions and conferences. Arranges for travel and accommodations.
- Arranges numerous meetings, as well as banquets, luncheons, receptions and special presentations as required by Corporate Administration and Council.
- Provides support with ongoing agenda training for all Administrative Assistants.
- Provides support with ongoing website training to all Administrative Assistants.
- Maintains and updates the City Website, Facebook and Twitter sites.
- Drafts corporate communications including but not limited press releases, advertisements and public notices.
- Maintains the policy manual; updates and circulates revisions.
- Maintains Records Management Manual.
- Responsible for ensuring filing of all correspondence and documents is accurate and in accordance to the LGMA filing codes.
- Reviews all document destruction records for approval by the DOCA.
- Process and code invoices and travel expense statements for payment for elected officials and Corporate Administration staff.
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Ability to communicate positively and effectively both verbally and written.
- Ability to deal positively, courteously and tactfully with the public and co-workers.
- Ability to support and train Administrative Assistants with standard software programs.
- A working knowledge of municipal office procedures and functional terminology.
- Basic knowledge of identified provisions of the Local Government Act, the Community Charter, City Bylaws and other Provincial Statutes.
- Must be able to demonstrate a flexible and creative approach when learning new tasks and procedures that evolve over time.
- Operates various office and computer equipment and must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, keyboarding and /speedwriting.
- To ensure that all matters dealing with Administration are dealt with in a highly efficient and professional manner by providing exceptional secretarial and administration support skills.
- To complete all assignments in an efficient manner and to work to frequent deadlines within short time frames by prioritizing and coordinating own work schedule.
- To deal with inquiries from the public and to enhance the image of City Hall by being generally knowledgeable of all matters within the organization and advises of areas that may require specific attention.
- To deal with confidential information with the utmost tact and professionalism, understanding the importance of confidentiality.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12
- Business Administration diploma or equivalent certification from an accredited educational institution.
- Have completed or be in the process of completing a Certificate in Local Government Administration.
- A verifiable combination of Local Government Administration training and experience may be substituted for the above.
Jodie Allen, Human Resources Administrator
216 Mackenzie Avenue, PO Box 170
Revelstoke, BC VOE 2SO
Or by email to:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source