District of Kitimat
Environmental Services Manager
Exempt Staff, Permanent Full Time
The District of Kitimat provides facilities and services that support a safe, connected, inclusive, healthy and dynamic community. We seek individuals who are collaborative, work with integrity and respect, and are innovative when it comes to the services we provide to our residents.
Located in Northwest BC, Kitimat is home to just over 8,000 people with a stable tax base and is experiencing growth from increased levels of industrial, residential, and commercial development.
We are surrounded by mountains, rivers, oceans and parks and our staff are able to enjoy a work- life balance with backyard access to many outdoor recreational activities such as biking, hiking, golf, skiing, boating and fishing. The Terrace-Kitimat Regional Airport is a 40 minute drive away with multiple daily direct flights to Vancouver and Prince George, perfect for a weekend getaway.
This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives including a Solid Waste Management Strategy Action Plan for the community.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering Services, this position is responsible for designing, delivering and evaluating plans, policies, programs and facilities to maximize waste diversion, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and manage residual waste to meet current environmental regulations. This position leads and supports initiatives that will transition the District of Kitimat towards a low carbon, zero waste future.
- Supervises and monitors and directs all aspects of the residential curbside collection service
- Oversees and coordinates the planning, development and implementation and management of public consultation information and education programs
- Collaborates with the Ministry of Environment and the Climate Change Strategy (ENV) on the development of a modernized permit or operational certificate for the Kitimat Landfill
- Directs the development and implementation of an updated Design, Operation and Closure Plan for the Kitimat Landfill
- Plans, develops and monitors the work of the landfill operations contractor to ensure compliance with the site development, operating permit, landfill gas, leachate, storm water management and closure plans
- Responsible for the annual ground and surface water monitoring program and preparation of the annual operating and monitoring report
- Coordinates and oversees all aspects of landfill/transfer station engineering projects including design, tender preparation, contract documentation and administration and construction supervision
- Develop and implement policies and procedures required for the efficient and effective operation of environment service programs and facilities
- Plan, monitor, evaluate, control and supervise the budget and resources allocated to environmental services and develop near and long term project and capital plans and goals and direct the implementation of the Solid Waste Management Strategy Action Plan
Post-Secondary diploma in environmental studies, engineering, planning or related field. A post- secondary degree in the areas listed is an asset
A minimum of five years of practical experience in solid waste management and environmental programs and knowledge of solid waste diversion and residual management operations including knowledge of waste management regulations and bylaws
Extensive experience in waste reduction initiatives, contract planning and management, project management, budget development and reconciliation, report writing, media relations and targeted promotion and education campaigns preferably in a local government setting
General knowledge of public sector procurement, industry standard purchasing contract documents, the tendering process and other competitive bid processes.
Ability to interpret provincial legislation
Strong editing skills in the area of designing and delivering public participation programs, advertisements, brochures, pamphlets, public notices and staff reports
Proficient computer skills including advanced skills in Microsoft Office and web based meeting and presentation portals
Effective speaking and presentation skills including delivery and education to a wide range of audiences from children to industry professionals. Excellent written and oral communications skills
Class 5 BC Drivers License
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, professional development opportunities, complimentary use of our recreation facilities, relocation assistance and a rental subsidy.
At the District of Kitimat, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve, establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all.
Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you on arranging an accommodation where possible that is suitable for your abilities.
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 4:30 pm, February 19, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
View Original Source Source