Engineering Technologist – Projects
Status: CUPE- Regular Full Time
Salary: $40.18 – $47.47 per hour
Closing: October 12, 2020
Come grow with us! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication & great customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
The City of Maple Ridge’s Engineering Administration Department is seeking a number of diversely skilled professionals to join their growing technical team.
Under the general direction of a professional engineer, the Engineering Technologist- Projects will prepare and review design layouts, detailed drawings, specifications, and related data for the construction of municipal infrastructure. We currently have positions available in both our Utilities and Design and Construction sections. The positions will perform a variety of duties related to the City’s capital construction program with the Utilities position emphasis on municipal water, sewer and drainage infrastructure.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Civil and Structural Technology, including or supplemented by courses in project management, plus considerable related experience preferably in a municipal setting; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of municipal design and engineering standards relative to all aspects of land servicing and of the rules, regulations, by‑laws and policies pertaining thereto.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and installation of municipal utilities.
- Considerable knowledge of engineering mathematics, and of municipal engineering plans, specifications, contract documents and data related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of the fundamentals of budgeting and standard costing procedures as related to engineering programs and operations.
- Ability to administer specific projects related to the construction and installation of municipal utilities.
- Ability to act as a liaison and coordinator for design and construction projects.
- Ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and other material related to the work.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully and maintain cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts and to direct the work of assigned staff on projects as required.
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports, records, correspondence and various other material related to the work.
- Skill in the use of manual and computer assisted drafting tools and equipment.
LICENCES & CERTIFICATES:
Eligibility for membership with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of B.C.
The successful candidate will play a key role in:
- project management, organization and planning;
- prepares request for proposals, participate in the review and selection of consultants;
- design review, cost estimating, contract preparation and review, and tendering;
- monitor construction to ensure compliance with plans and related specifications;
- infrastructure (Utilities section) systems monitoring, investigation, analysis, studies and planning
- inspection of construction works in various facets of civil engineering;
- prepares project schedules and monitors budgets;
- maintain and update computerized models and databases;
- respond to and establish effective relationships with contractors, consultants and other internal and external stakeholders;
- function in an office environment and out at construction sites.
Does the following describe you?
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent education; Technology
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Related courses such as certification in project management or contract administration is an asset;
- Design and construction experience;
- Familiarity with CAD and modelling software as well as GIS mapping and asset reporting;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with a variety of individuals;
- A commitment to service excellence and continuous improvement;
- A positive and fun attitude.
…and why work for us?
- A competitive compensation and benefits package;
- A growing community translates to opportunities to develop your knowledge and skills;
- A strong learning culture supporting our staff to grow and succeed;
- An energized, diverse team;
- A challenging and rewarding career in the service of our community.
View Original Source Source