Requisition ID: 23677
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Main Purpose & Function
Working as part of a team to inspect, monitor, control, and report the quantity and quality of construction materials meeting required construction standards, when used in civil and utility construction projects in, and for the City of Vancouver. We are hiring for two temporary full time Engineering Technician I – Construction Inspector.
The regular work schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM and will be based at Kent Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operationally required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Engineering Technician I will be responsible for:
- Inspecting construction work performed by City of Vancouver crews, private contractors, and utility companies to establish conformance with City of Vancouver specifications and construction standards.
- Inspecting and record street and sidewalk hazard conditions annually, and to report repair requirements.
- Distributing snow notices to businesses and residents when required and to perform related duties as required.
- Conducting a wide variety of engineering test procedures and analyses, specific to asphalt, concrete, mineral aggregates and soil investigations.
- Measuring quantities for contract payments.
- Communicating and corresponding (verbally and written) with the public, private companies, outside agencies and other City of Vancouver branches
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses in asphalt, concrete, soils and municipal inspection or other courses related to the work; graduation from an approved technician institute is preferred.
- Considerable related experience with materials laboratory and construction inspection work or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Some experience with handling nuclear densometers and knowledge of applicable CNSC and WorkSafeBC regulations is an asset.
- Eligibility for certification with the ASTTBC as AScT/CTech or as CPWI with the Public Works Inspectors Society is preferred
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: Februrary 2021
Position End Date: February 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade 21: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Posting close date: February 7, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source