Requisition ID: 26098
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Coordinator will perform a variety of technical field and office work related to coordinating and inspecting the construction of City infrastructure under the major projects section in Projects and Development Services. The work includes monitoring work progress and project costs, performing site inspections and maintaining liaison with and providing direction to a wide variety of internal and external contacts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Assists developers and external contractors in the construction of Engineering infrastructure and coordinates their work with internal branches and outside stakeholder requirements.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with a variety of internal and external contacts; provides technical advice directly to developers, architects, engineers, and contractors related to construction management on City property.
- Conducts field inspections; ensures that all work is performed in accordance with contractual terms and established regulations; arbitrates minor disputes regarding contract interpretations, construction practices, standards, and methods; reviews and advises on proposed changes; monitors and assesses construction progress.
- Coordinates review and approval of traffic management plans, and issues construction related permits such as street use permit, and temporary special zone permit.
- Supports the Project Engineer with regular project related invoicing, and reporting on project status (schedule, costs, public impacts).
- Exercises considerable independent judgement and arbitrates minor disputes regarding construction practices, standards, and methods.
- Attends preconstruction meetings and site visits, and maintains a record of all key decisions and meeting minutes.
- Responds to public enquiries and feedback regarding construction plan, traffic management, or other information related to the project.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of reports, records, and correspondence
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Civil and Structural Technology, including or supplemented by courses in project management, plus considerable related experience preferably in a Municipal setting; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience with and knowledge of corporate and departmental procedures related to construction management
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and installation of Municipal utilities
- Knowledge of Engineering mathematics, and of Municipal engineering plans, specifications, contract documents and data related to the work
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of budgeting and standard costing procedures as related to engineering programs and operations
- Knowledge of relevant bylaws, codes, acts, and regulations governing the work including but not limited to the City’s Streets Restoration Manual, Water Design Manual, Sewer Design Manual and MMCD Standards
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including letters and reports
- Excellent organization and record keeping
- Ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and other material related to the work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, owners, architects, engineers, contractors, and members of the public
- Ability to act as a liaison and coordinator for design and construction projects
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple assignments
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $34.98 to $41.29 per hour
Application Close: April 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source