Requisition ID: 26813
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
As an Engineering Assistant IV, you will play a key role in the success of a number of high profile engineering projects by implementing and maintaining project and construction management best practices and coordinating work across integrated project teams. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Engineering Assistant IV is responsible for coordinating, directing and controlling project activities, maintaining all project documentation and reports, including project financials, and coordinating work across internal functional business units, external agencies and contractors. The ideal candidate for this opportunity is innovative and driven with demonstrated experience in project management, supporting large projects and complex construction activities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Senior Project Manager in collecting, coordinating and controlling the project lifecycle scope, cost and schedule on select projects in the planning and implementation of capital construction projects related to infrastructure on City streets
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of project documentation, such as: Project Charter, Project Execution Plan, Project Schedule, Risk Register, Stakeholder Plan, Cost and Progress Reports etc.
- Recommending and gathering project metrics (KPIs); compiling data and performing graphical representation work related to the preparation of reports and presentations
- Act as the liaison between design and operations staff, key stakeholders and the general public, assisting the senior Project Manager to coordinate work efficiently
- Liaise and coordinate work with external agencies such as BC Hydro, Telus, Fortis, Coast Mountain Bus Company and others
- Analyzing, verifying, and processing large volumes of information/data to be used by internal and external stakeholders to facilitate short and long-term project management success
- Interpreting engineering drawings and work packages in order to:
- Verify technical information and document field observations
- Retrieve and interpret field observations and studies
- Assisting in the inspection and the reporting of construction work and materials
- Collaborating with Supply Chain Management on project procurement needs and processes
- Conducting standard and specification gap analysis on projects and then recommending approach and procedures
- Preparing and/or assisting in the delivery of stage gate approval presentations to executive and senior management
- Assisting and participating with the public consultation processes; assisting in compiling and summarizing public input
- Performing a variety of technical and administrative duties for the Senior Project Manager
- Training and providing project management technical oversight to peers and junior staff
- Assisting with development of contractual documentation, procurement and contract administration
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented with post-secondary technical training in Civil Engineering, Project Management, Construction Management, Transportation/Utility (water, liquid waste or streets) or other relevant area of study or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management principles and processes and understanding of Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures is required
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and problem solve with accuracy in a technical environment is required
- Familiarity with the City’s street system, construction methodologies, environmental management and transportation policies and regulations is required
- Experience working with external contractors/consultants
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in procurement procedures and contract administration
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with multiple and competing deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated research, investigation and analytical skills; proven ability to understand, identify, track and report project key performance indicators
- Ability to work well in a team environment, with little or no supervision and under tight time lines
- Proven ability to summarize data in an accurate written format and assist in the preparation of a variety of project reports; excellent organization and records management skills
- Familiarity with the City’s Greenest City Action Plan and Corporate Plan is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office, SAP, AutoCAD, MS Project and working knowledge of GIS, Hansen
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather; site safety compliance requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: March 28, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source