Requisition ID: 24933
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Engineering Assistant is a dedicated resource to the Sewer Utility and provides the following key functions:
- Pump Station and Forcemain Infrastructure Development:
- Assists with the construction of new infrastructure by providing support in planning, design, project management, construction management, and record keeping.
- Pump Station and Forcemain System Support:
- Provides various system support including but not limited to data acquisition and analysis, asset management, and system investigation reviews.
Pump Station and Forcemain Infrastructure Development
- General Program Support
- Develops utility base plans and profile drawings in AutoCAD
- Provides drafting support to engineers for developing piping layouts, schematics, and standard details, for standard drawings and capital projects
- Prepares material quantity take-offs
- Reviews third party utility design submissions to ensure conformity to specifications and City standards, providing comments and problem solving conflicts as required
- Conducts field inspections of third party construction to ensure work meets City standards and ensure no impacts to pump station and forcemain assets
- Coordinates the review of pump station and forcemain designs with internal and external agencies such as Water, Sewers, BC Hydro, Telus, and Fortis
- Coordinates design and planning with other Engineering branches
- Assists in specification writing for procurement of equipment and construction contracts
- Prepration of project summary, technical, and other reports as required
- Prepares and maintains records for as-built infrastructure from markups and field investigations
- Inputs pump station and forcemain assets into GIS/VanMap/Hansen
- Assists in response to public enquiries/complaints
- Assists in public outreach and stakeholder engagement
- Assists in the development of project documents such as the project charter and project execution plan
- Assists in cost estimation and scheduling and tracks these throughout a project
- Assists with stage gate reviews and PMO compliance
- Manages system investigations and small to medium sized refurbishment and repair projects
- Performs inspections and system commissioning during construction for compliance with design drawings, specifications, and traffic plans and recommends changes required to respond to field conditions
- Issues construction field reports
- Assists in contract administration
- Facilitates construction coordination meetings
- Acts as a liaison and coordinates the work of external consultants, contractors, and suppliers
- Conducts inspection and data acquisition of installed equipment
- Utilizes Hansen and SCADA software tools to acquire operational data and perform basic data analysis
- Assists in technical and mathematical computations related to plant operations, preparing routine reports
- Conducts equipment condition inspections and tracks equipment maintenance and replacement cost, using Hansen (or other means) for ongoing system asset management
- Supports development of asset management program
- Develop, conduct, and document system tests
- Develops emergency response and risk reduction plans
Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience in Applied Sciences supplemented by advanced technical courses in drafting, hydraulics, civil and/or mechanical design and or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Minimum three years’ experience with water or wastewater utility infrastructure
- Experience in project and construction management
- Experience with contract administration and construction management is preferred
- Experience with plant electrical, process control and/or SCADA systems considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of underground utility planning, design and construction, and pump station or similar facility operations
- Good knowledge of municipal design principles and methods, design standards, inspection procedures, construction methods and materials.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Skills in drafting civil, mechanical, electrical and piping systems
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications and perform design drafting
- Ability to handle inquiries and complaints, provide technical information and assistance, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather; site safety compliance requirements
- Proficient in the use of standard office applications and drafting software such as MS Office, AutoCAD,
- GIS, Topobase, SAP, VanMap, BlueBeam/Adobe is an asset
- Experience using CMMS systems (preferably Infor Hansen) an asset
- Ability to meet transportation requirements of the role
Please note this is a technical support role not a professional engineering or EIT designated position.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-25: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: June 6, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source