Requisition ID: 28594
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Utilities Coordinator works with a team of technical staff from the Utilities Management Branch to review and process plans for third party utility work on City streets.
The position reports to the Technical Supervisor-Engineering and liaises regularly with the Director, Public Space and Street Use, Manager, Utilities Management Branch, and staff within Engineering Services, Risk Management, Accounting and Technology Services.
Key external contacts this position liaises with are BC Hydro, Telus, Fortis, Shaw, Rogers, Allstream, Coast Mountain Bus Company and TransLink as well as private businesses, general contractors, developers and residents.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with utility companies, developers, contractors and other City departments to review, approve and coordinate utility construction on City streets ensuring proposed utility construction is designed and built to City utility standards and resolves any conflicts that may arise.
- Reviews and coordinates utility construction drawings for all aspects of utility planning including dealing with conflicts as they pertain to the different projects.
- Ensures existing policies and procedures are adhered to and assists in establishing new policies and procedures to improve Branch processes and construction standards which are reflected in the Street Utilities By-Law, Standards and several Municipal Access Agreements.
- Assists in supervising and providing direction to junior staff regarding the utility approval and construction process.
- Assists in the field inspection of utility drawings and construction and development projects as they relate to utility company facilities, construction schedules and traffic coordination.
- Researches and provides technical and other information regarding utility infrastructure for the public, City staff and private sector organizations.
- Provides written correspondence as required and maintains accurate records and files from different databases.
- Attends and participates in meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responds to public inquiries and complaints received by general phone number or email.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by relevant advanced technical courses in computerized drafting plus related experience with heavy civil construction, preferably in a municipal setting or, an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with interpreting and summarizing engineering drawings and legal agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of engineering mathematics and familiarity with elementary engineering practices
- Working knowledge of standard engineering concepts and terminology
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Skill in the use of surveying, drafting, computing instruments.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully and maintain cooperative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, legal agreements, and other material related to the work.
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal direction or supervision and work effectively with frequent interruptions and changing priorities under tight timelines.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Proficient in the use of software applications and databases such as with MS Office Suite, AutoCAD, SAP, POSSE, Bluebeam, Adobe, and GIS
- Occasional local area travel is also a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of Engineering Services and applicants must be willing to apply for membership in the City’s Car-Share program.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: May 28, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source