Requisition ID: 25354
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Civil Engineer II through the Engineering Assistant IV, the Engineering Assistant III prepares complex AutoCAD designs for traffic signage as required by Transportation Division capital projects. This position is required to have a thorough understanding of industry best practice, and is responsible for maintaining and assisting with the development of engineering design standards. They are also responsible to conduct field investigations related to traffic operations and safety; develop field reports, manage branch databases, as well as train and supervise junior engineering assistants. In addition, the position is responsible for reviewing and responding to the public and external stakeholder concerns and requests.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Create AutoCAD transportation engineering drawings, including plan, detail, profile and cross-section drawings.
- Create AutoCAD sign plans for complex protected bike facility designs.
- Ensure sign designs adhere to the MVA, Street and Traffic By-Law, and are consistent with guidelines in the MUTCD and Quality Management design guidelines.
- Create intersection mock-ups with programs such as Google sketch-up and Adobe Photoshop.
- Accurately integrate external contractor engineering design plans with internal street surveys, GIS and existing asset information.
- Identify conflicts between proposed Transportation Division geometric designs, traffic signal designs, and signage designs and recommend options/solutions.
- Integrate and analyse underground utility data to minimize construction risks.
- Represent TDM design team at field meetings with Operations.
- Follow Organizational Quality Management standards and documentation protocol including developing and maintaining drafting standards in AutoCAD.
- Assist Senior Engineer in the hiring of new staff. Develop and supervise technical proficiency testing for new candidates.
- Assist in the training and supervision of junior engineering assistants as required.
- Use the City’s Hansen system to allocate and track citizen inquiries and requests from 311. Respond and follow-up on public concerns and requests.
- Conduct field investigations and safety studies including sightline analysis calculations.
- Prepare reports and engineering designs for traffic control measures.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by related drafting courses and experience in engineering. Some experience as an Engineering Assistant II.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of engineering design principles and methods, and of engineering mathematics
- Working knowledge of departmental procedures relating to various engineering projects
- Working knowledge of the City’s street system, transportation policies and regulations, the Street & Traffic By-Law, the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways
- Advanced computer drafting skills
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications and perform design drafting
- Ability to exercise independent decision making and judgement.
- Excellent knowledge of AutoCAD, Excel, and Word
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather is required.
- Ability to problem solve with accuracy in a technical environment with little or no supervision.
- Ability to meet tight timelines in a high performance, multi-task environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to provide accurate and thorough information to the public.
- Interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficiency in GIS software would be considered an asset
- Proficiency in Google Sketch up and Adobe Photoshop would be considered an asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: April 30, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source