Requisition ID: 31596
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor, the Engineering Assistant II will be working as part of a team of technical staff who review and coordinate drawing submission from third party utilities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Review, coordinate and approve street use (Temporary No Stopping) requests by third party utility companies, their contractors and other third parties.
- Coordinate drill hole installation in City streets for environmental and geotechnical investigations by private consultants.
- Review development applications in POSSE and provide standard requirements. Respond to inquiries on standard requirements.
- Work with another EAII to manage the COV utilities inbox, plans tracking, construction tracking including creating GIS cut requests from third parties.
- Operate AutoCad to access, extract, and input data into the City’s GIS.
- Maintain accurate branch records and perform various tasks of plan filing, retrieval and reproduction and other related clerical and technical duties as required.
- Providing assistance to City staff and the public in accessing and understanding utility information.
- Supports the team with reviewing and coordinates basic utility construction drawings under supervision.
- Other duties
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented courses in computerized drafting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge and some experience using desktop software including GIS.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, PlanIT, POSSE, Vanmap, VanDocs, SAP and Outlook would be an asset.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD is required.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to deal with workloads, frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to deal effectively with the public and City staff in person, by email and telephone.
- A demonstrated ability in reading and interpreting engineering drawings is required; familiarity with the underground/overhead utility network is an asset.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with the department’s regulations, policies and procedures.
- Skill and accuracy in checking and maintaining office records in accordance with Organizational Quality Management standards.
- A willingness to function as part of a team and the ability to work with minimal direction.
- Local travel is a requirement of this position; transportation arrangements must meet the operational needs of Engineering Services.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: July 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source