Requisition ID: 28335
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Engineering Assistant II (EA II) will perform duties related to the AutoCAD drafting and street lighting asset management. The EA II will be involved in developing CAD drawings and implementing VanMap updates. The position will also assist in maintaining GIS datasets as they pertain to life-cycle rehabilitation and maintenance programs. The EA II will be working closely with the Electrical Design team and Asset Management team. In addition to drafting functions, this position will assist to administer and organize in-field street lighting asset inventory and condition assessments including assessment of street light pole bases and poles, underground electrical junction boxes, conduits, service panels, luminaires, kiosks and any other electrical equipment as required.
This position will be based out of National Works Yard. Work location may change as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates Civil/Electrical AutoCAD drawings for various engineering deliverables (e.g., tender drawings, progress drawings, IFC drawings, Record drawings etc)
- Develops and maintains the street lighting infrastructure database
- Updates VanMap and assists in maintaining the Street Lighting, Traffic signal and Communications databases
- Works with other staff to manage and maintain work orders related to street lighting assets
- Updates electrical design record drawings in AutoCAD
- Conducts site verifications related to street lighting infrastructure
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 with technical courses related to the work and some experience in drafting, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A diploma in Mechanical/Electrical and AutoCAD or GIS or an equivalent is preferred
- 3 or more years of experience in AutoCAD drafting is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of high school mathematics and familiarity with engineering practices.
- Electrical, mechanical and engineering aptitude.
- Ability to create Civil/Electrical drawings including plan views, profiles, details and schematics.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise initiative.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral instructions.
- Ability to perform a variety of clerical tasks related to municipal engineering work.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Skill in the use of Excel, Word, Topobase and GIS
Driver’s License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: April, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: April 25, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source