Requisition ID: 30937
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position performs technical duties related to traffic safety: using AutoCAD to develop sign and traffic control plans; reviewing and interpreting designs; development of Form 1s for signage and paint markings; reviewing and analyzing data from ICBC and other partners; maintaining databases and metrics as necessary; performing pedestrian studies (which may require shifting work hours to accommodate); conducting traffic safety investigations for all road users; and undertaking other related duties as required. The successful candidate responds verbally and in writing to citizen questions or concerns related to safety around schools and communicates with partners as necessary. The position may also research, analyze and prepare written responses to litigation inquiries. This position reports to the Traffic Safety Engineer (CEI) and the EA III Safety Investigations; reviews issues with engineers; works with other Engineering Assistants. Works with staff in other Transportation branches, Streets and Electrical Design branch, Traffic and Electrical branch. Key external contacts include residents, businesses, transportation companies, schools, partner agencies including ICBC, Translink, and VPD.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises work of EA I’s in the creation of sign, paint and traffic control plans.
- Supervises data collection by the TAs.
- Conducts research, field studies/survey and analysis for curbside and street regulations to make technical recommendations;
- Consults with Transportation branches, Streets and Electrical Design branch, the business community, and external stakeholders to identify solutions and make recommendations to the Traffic Safety Engineer for curbside regulations, paint markings, pedestrian and cyclist
- Designs engineering plans of moderate complexity with AutoCAD
- Uses AutoCAD to design new and/or custom guide signage
- Reviews and interprets technical designs
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 is required.
- A post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering, Transportation or other relevant area of study is preferred, supplemented with some related courses and experience in engineering or an equivalent combination of training or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Drafting skills, including proven experience in using AutoCAD
- Proven ability to use Microsoft Office applications, Excel and Word in particular, but also PowerPoint Knowledge of electronic filing systems, such as VanDocs
- Experience with GIS is an asset
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Working knowledge of the City’s street system, transportation policies and regulations, the Street and Traffic Bylaw, the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with internal and external contacts
- Ability to problem solve with accuracy and detail
- Ability to research and analyse information to make technical recommendations
- Ability to work well in a team and business environment with little or no supervision
- Ability to work under tight timelines and handle multiple tasks
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: June 18, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source