Engineering Assistant II
Requisition ID: 23674
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Main Purpose and Function
The Engineering Assistant II will work as part of a team to carry out a variety of routine inspection and technical duties.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- The Engineering Assistant II will be responsible carrying out Sidewalk & Street Hazard Inspection within the City of Vancouver.
- This position will also undertake inspection for removal of snow or ice from sidewalks as required.
- The Engineering Assistant II will maintain various Branch databases, perform a variety of related administrative and technical tasks in order to meet Branch operational needs, and will perform related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses in municipal inspection or other courses related to the work; graduation from an approved technician institute is preferred.
- Experience with VanMap, Hansen, ENGIS or the Sidewalk Hazard Inspection Program is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in municipal construction work is an asset.
- Good written and interpersonal communication skills in resolving differences with the flexibility to perform inspections at irregular hours and on the weekend.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication with other staff, owners, contractors, and members of the public.
- Proven ability to electronically collect, organize and analyze data and to prepare clear, well written reports, diaries and records.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to problem solve identify creative solutions, and show leadership in new initiatives.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform physically strenuous work and work outside in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to meet project completion deadlines on a consistent basis.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record is preferred.
- Your driving record will be reviewed as part of the application process. Candidates must demonstrate as safe driving history, as assessed by the City of Vancouver.
- Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affilication: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Position End Date: August 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR 17 $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: December 18, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve e. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interivew will be contacted.
View Original Source Source