Requisition ID: 24294
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Engineering Assistant I works with senior staff in the Traffic and Data Management branch to conduct field investigations related to traffic operations and safety; develops field reports; manages and update branch databases, prepares basic sign and traffic control plans related to projects within the Transportation Division and responds to citizen concerns related to safety.
The position reports to the Traffic Safety Engineer (Civil Engineer I) and receives direction from the Engineering Assistant III Traffic Safety. The position works with staff in other Transportation branches, Streets and Electrical Design branch, Traffic and Electrical branch, and Vancouver Police Department. Key external contacts include residents, businesses, transportation companies, partner agencies including ICBC and Translink.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to public inquiries and uses the City’s Hansen system to allocate and track citizen inquiries and requests from 311.
- Conducts field investigations and safety studies; makes observations, data entry and basic data analysis
- Prepares citizen opinion surveys, presentations, and maintains files, supplies, and equipment.
- Under the direction from senior staff, develops basic designs for signage and paint plans using AutoCAD
- Liaises with staff in other departments to coordinate work with upcoming projects.
- Ensures OQM (Organizational Quality Management) documentation is correctly undertaken
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 including drafting courses, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Some experience in general office, clerical, customer service and/or junior drafting work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the City’s street system, transportation policies and regulations, the Street & Traffic By-Law, the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways
- Sound knowledge of departmental procedures relating to various engineering projects
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications and perform design drafting
- Ability to work well in a team and business environment with little or no supervision under tight time lines
- Ability to problem solve with accuracy and detail in a technical environment
- Ability to be flexible and to accommodate the operational needs of the department.
- Ability to meet tight timelines in a multi-task environment.
- Ability to provide accurate and thorough information to the public.
- Ability to maintain a cooperative and effective working relationship with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather
- Proficient in the use of software applications and databases such as MS Office, Hansen and AutoCAD
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application Close: March 21, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source