Engineering and Community Services Technologist
(TIME-DURATION APPOINTMENT – NOV 2020-DEC 2023)
October 19, 2020
We are the third largest regional district in BC and deliver over 100 services to six municipalities and eight electoral areas. Our region covers more than 13,000 km2 stretching from the City of Abbotsford to Boston Bar. If you think variety is the spice of life and enjoy serving the public, then you should check us out. The term of this position is from November 2020 to approximately December 2023.
As an Engineering and Community Technologist at the FVRD, a typical week could see you reviewing civil design drawings; inspecting the installation of water or sewer mains; collaborating with stakeholders to develop new recycling initiatives at FVRD transfer stations; wading waist deep in a creek to take stream flow measurements; making permit applications to various Provincial agencies for everything from highway crossings to water licences; writing progress reports for multi-million dollar capital projects, and so much more. We are looking for a people-oriented Technologist interested in the big picture, as well as the small details. Critical thinking, strong communication and technical skills, as well as a keen desire to learn and lots of initiative will serve you well in this position.
We offer a positive, supportive, team-based work environment with an emphasis on collaboration. If you have a positive, can-do attitude and a keen sense of humour, you will fit right in. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to stretch their skills and broaden their experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A Degree or Diploma in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Sciences with a good understanding of and experience working with environmental issues relating to water and sewer; solid waste; and eligible for registration as a AScT or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in local government service delivery including engineering and utilities;
- Experience in public promotion, managing projects, conducting research and feasibility studies;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and converse with technical consultants, staff and the general public;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to prepare well written technical and administrative reports, and make effective presentations;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, stakeholders, staff, elected officials, advisory bodies and the public;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence.
The wage rate for this bargaining unit position is $33.68 per hour plus 10.6% in lieu of benefits. Upon successful completion of the required probationary period, the wage will increase to $39.62 plus 10.6% in lieu of benefits.
If this opportunity excites you, please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications. Please quote Competition #2020-52 and send, in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on November 10, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Fraser Valley Regional District
Human Resources Department
45950 Cheam Avenue
Chilliwack, BC V2P 1N6
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
View Original Source Source