Engineer-In-Training *Civil Engineering
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Human Resources – EIT Program
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
The Future is Waiting. Help Us Engineer It.
You’ve completed a demanding degree. And now you’re ready to start your career in engineering. From the moment you join Metro Vancouver as an Engineer-in-Training, you’ll be contributing meaningful work on diverse, innovative and challenging projects, while sharing our vision for delivering services and solutions for a livable region now and into the future.
You’ll embark on a four-year development plan designed to assist you in obtaining your professional engineering designation. Over your first three years as an EIT you’ll work through rotating assignments within Metro Vancouver, acquiring hands on, practical experience related to your engineering field. You will be exposed to key technical and operational aspects of our utility departments and project delivery department and may also have the opportunity to work in our Parks & Housing and Planning & Environment departments. You will steadily grow your level of skill and responsibility. You’ll be partnered with an experienced professional engineer each step of the way.
Duties assigned may include:
- Performs a range of routine engineering and project management functions in support of professional engineers such as simple plans, design calculations, cost estimates, logistics, field work, project specifications, correspondence and draft reports;
- Provides assistance with financial tracking and project management oversight including contract administration;
- Assists professional engineers in carrying out technical tasks requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed analysis, design or computational requirements;
- Performs field work such as facility site inspections, field surveys and construction inspections;
- Assists in the evaluation of system requirements and/or performance, and the related planning of system design changes;
- Prepares and updates project schedules, prepares project specifications, cost estimates and drafts simple reports and correspondence; and
- Interacts and coordinated with internal staff and external stakeholders to fulfill project objectives.
You’ll bring these skills and attributes:
- Applied knowledge and understanding of engineering principles in relevant discipline;
- Analytical skills and abilities to identify problems and recommend solutions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships;
- Project management and organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple time based deliverable;
- Research and technical report writing skills;
- Initiative and problem solving skills; and
- Keen interest in municipal, community and sustainability concerns.
Other requirements include:
- A Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Civil Engineering (along with some related practical technical and/or project management experience;
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as an Engineer-in-Training Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia;
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project; and
- A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s license.
The anticipated start date is May or June 2021, depending on graduation and availability.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please note that in order to be considered for this opportunity you must upload a copy of your transcript as part of the application process and be graduating no later than May 2020.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 18, 2020.
View Original Source Source