Energy & Climate Action Engineer
Engineering & Regional Utilities
At the City of Abbotsford our people are our greatest asset. We offer a wide range of diverse, stimulating and rewarding career opportunities that support and recognize high levels of performance. In Abbotsford, we work strongly to create a challenging yet rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We invite you to become part of a place that has strong corporate and organizational values, rewarding career paths, challenging opportunities, and an engaging and dynamic team to work with.
Be part of the story. Join our team today.
In partnership with BC Hydro, the City of Abbotsford has an exciting new temporary full-time opportunity for the position of Energy & Climate Action Engineer starting approximately February 2020 for a minimum of one year.
Reporting to the Manager, Energy & Climate Action, the Energy & Climate Action Engineer is responsible for reducing corporate energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, including in civic facilities, utilities and fleet. The incumbent also identifies, evaluates and implements opportunities for innovative GHG emission reduction or offsetting projects across the City’s corporate and community portfolios. At a high level, the Engineer provides expertise on both corporate and community climate and energy issues, which includes managing emissions inventories, key performance indicators and other relevant data.
In this exciting new role, you will develop, implement and update the City’s Strategic Energy Management Plan (SEMP) and Energy Policy, including energy targets and associated strategies, plans and programs and liaise with BC Hydro to ensure applicable agreements and program requirements are met. Your excellent communication and coordination skills will allow you to establish and maintain effective working relationships across City departments as well as with the public and external organizations.
As the ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- A post-secondary degree in engineering, resources, and environmental management, applied science, or a related professional field (graduate degree preferred), plus a minimum of five years of directly related experience.
- A valid professional designation in the Province of BC such as a Professional Engineer (or immediately eligible for registration as a fully qualified professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC),
- Accreditation as a Certified Energy Manager designation by the Association of Energy Engineers would be an asset.
- Other relevant combinations of education, training and experience may also be considered, while advanced training in energy efficiency and energy management is considered an asset.
- Additional requirements include familiarity with BC Hydro’s Energy Manager Program, with demonstrated experience in the preparation and implementation of Strategic Energy Management Plans and Energy and Emissions Plans.
- Sound experience in energy use tracking and benchmarking, project management, business case development, report writing, financial analysis and budget management.
- Experience completing technical calculations related to emissions, including validation and verification.
- Experience with greenhouse gas mitigation projects and/or technology.
- Experience working in a professional governmental institution (municipal preferred), and/or specific project management experience in engineering, asset management or environmental management systems.
At the City of Abbotsford, we work strongly to create a challenging yet rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We offer ongoing personal and professional development opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. To apply, please visit us online at www.abbotsford.ca/careers
Closing Date: January 4, 2021
*Please note that, due to the shared funding arrangement with BC Hydro, your application for this position will be shared, in confidence, with the BC Hydro contact.
View Original Source Source