Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Emergency Planning Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Fire & Rescue Services
STATUS:Temporary, Fulltime (6 month term)
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week
SALARY: $33.28 to $36.72 per hour, plus 12% in lieu of benefits
This is an exciting opportunity to join the best Emergency Program in the Metro Vancouver area in a pivotal administrative and coordinative support role covering a maternity leave for a term of 6 months with the possibility of an extension. Although your primary responsibilities will entail the provision of administrative assistance to the Assistant Deputy Fire Chief of Emergency Planning, you will also provide a lead coordinating role for the Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Program through the City’s Emergency Management Program embedded within New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services. You will provide assistance to volunteer emergency response organizations, maintain liaison with a variety of external and internal agencies, respond to inquiries from agencies and the public, assist in planning and facilitating staff training and emergency exercises, assist in testing emergency communications systems and deliver public presentations on emergency preparedness. In addition, you will prepare agendas and relevant material for meetings, record minutes and provide general administrative and clerical support to the emergency program activities.
- Grade 12 supplemented by courses in business administration, supplemented by a minimum of two years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience as deemed suitable by the employer.
- Working knowledge of the objectives of the emergency preparedness program and associated rules and regulations. Courses in Emergency Management an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding in emergency management and preparedness, including the Incident Command System; coordination with EMBC and the ability to work within the BCERMS system.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, practices and procedures governing the work performed. Able to work with confidential information related to critical infrastructure and personnel information.
- Ability to liaise with and establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts on matters related to the work; and to employ contemporary service excellence principles.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic and of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to relieve a supervisor of administrative detail, show a high level of independence and sound judgment, and to work with minimal supervision as well as to act with some authority as directed.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to conduct training and public information sessions on emergency preparedness.
- Ability to prepare, control and maintain a variety of records, files, reports, statistics, manuals and reference materials related to the work. Also to assist in developing, implementing and coordinating emergency planning, response and recovery programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including a personal computer, and to operate emergency communications equipment.
- Ability to work in adverse conditions during emergencies at any time of day or night.
- Must be able to accommodate occasional weekend and evening work as needed.
- Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite applications and a typing proficiency of 55 wpm.
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of B.C. and personal vehicle available for use at work.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-82 by November 27, 2020, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of New Westminster is committed to employment equity. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
View Original Source Source