Requisition ID: 27595
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Electrical Technician I will perform detailed technical work in designing, estimating, material procurement coordination, inspection, technical reviews, project scope development, project scheduling and managing related to the City’s Traffic Signal Management (TDM) and Street Lighting Systems.
The regular work schedule for this position is 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday to Friday. This position will be based out of National Works Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operational required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop design solutions (street lighting, traffic signals, power distribution, communication systems etc.) that meet all applicable codes, standards and regulations.
- Conduct site surveys, inspections or technical investigations to collect data for engineering projects.
- Liaison with internal and external customers, other City divisions/departments, electricians, superintendents, civil crews, project coordinators/managers, consultants, various Business Improvement Associations and general public;
- Provide estimates for construction (labor and material) using in-house software.
- Perform night inspections and attend public meetings as required.
- Provide support for Organizational Quality Management (OQM) program compliance activities such as document control, quality control, process improvement and field reviews.
- Review work of draftspersons and other technicians.
- Perform other administrative and technical functions in support of engineering activities as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the twelfth school grade supplemented by either completion of electrical apprenticeship or recognized electrical technician courses.
- Considerable experience as an electrician, electrical designer or electrical technologist or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience working in traffic signal and street lighting design will be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, AGI32, Word, Excel and ETAP is considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC), the Canadian Standard Association (CSA) rules and regulations, the International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) specifications and the Uniform Traffic Control Device (UTCD) standards, and the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) of North America standards and lighting simulation.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and theory of electricity and electronics and their practical applications.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and practices relative to electrical system repair, maintenance and installation.
- Considerable knowledge of the City Electrical by-law and related applicable electrical codes and regulations.
- Ability to estimate costs of complex electrical installation, repair and maintenance projects.
- Ability to prepare, read, and interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to direct and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in technical field and office duties.
- Ability to perform research tasks and compile statistical and narrative reports as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with tradesmen contractors, other City employees and the public.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations with tact.
- Skill in the use of a variety of electrical instruments, calculating machines and related equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: IBEW Tech & Ins
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2021
Position End Date: September, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-100: $38.96 to $46.14 per hour
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: August 12, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source