The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
EA – Law & Legislative Services
Job ID: 2020-0191
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
The City of Richmond is a diverse and high performing values-based organization. Central working at the City, are the core values of People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation. These values define both the City’s culture, and the basic principles by which all staff operate. The City also places great emphasis on organizational development, with a variety of focus areas that ensure the ongoing strength of the corporate culture.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, Law & Legislative Services, this position provides administrative, analytical and tactical support and plays a key role supporting the divisional management team and the Senior Management Team, while embodying the City’s values in all aspects of work.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring all administrative assistance required by the General Manager is provided, including screening calls, responding to emails, booking appointments, prioritizing items, and expense reconciliation.
- Liaising between divisional staff and the General Manager; providing advice and recommendations as to the appropriate course of action when the General Manager is unavailable.
- Coordinating meetings and workshops; preparing agendas and liaising with other departments as required.
- Composing, proofreading, editing, and finalizing a variety of documents and reports on behalf of the General Manager.
- Monitoring the status of all departmental reports going to Committee/Council meetings; ensuring report preparations are completed; coordinating any necessary internal preparatory meetings pre-Committee/Council meetings; coordinating all background information for the General Manager’s perusal prior to these meetings.
- Coordinating and tracking the review of documents submitted to the Senior Management Team (SMT) and ensuring necessary action items are communicated and completed.
- Developing and maintaining tracking, filing and/or record keeping systems; recommending and implementing improvements to administrative processes, introducing procedural changes seamlessly and consistently.
- Supporting the division’s culture as lead for organizing divisional and team-building events (i.e. long service recognition, annual goals and accomplishments workshop).
- Analysing policies, procedures and improvement opportunities as required in support of Senior Management Team initiatives and objectives.
- Performing assigned administrative tasks for the Law Department, in addition to drafting and preparing a variety of legal and other documents related to real estate and development matters and claim matters.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to transcribe notes, prepare correspondence/reports, and research a variety of topics.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Ability to multitask, be organized, possess a strong attention to detail, and be results-oriented in a multifaceted, fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and interdependently.
- Ability to deal with unexpected situations in a calm and competent manner.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and embrace accountability for decisions.
- Ability to act with tact, diplomacy and discretion with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Skilled at sustaining corporate knowledge through document control and effective communication.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and REDMS.
- Ability to maintain and expand knowledge and skills through continuous learning.
Qualifications and Experience:
A minimum 2 year Diploma in Business Administration or a comparable level of education, supplemented by a minimum of 5 years recent and related administrative experience along with experience working in a corporate environment and/or a sound working knowledge of local government. A university degree is considered an asset. Supervisory experience is required and prior work experience within a legal department/division is considered an asset.
Work is performed in an office environment.
Position Status Pay Band
$63,150 – $78,937 annually
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday 8:15am to 5:00pm (compressed work week)
View Original Source Source