District Plumbing & Gas Inspector
Requisition ID: 22613
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Performs technical work of a regulatory, inspectional and enforcement nature to ensure all plumbing, gas, sprinkler, drainage and sewer installations comply with related codes, by-laws, regulations and standards including the Vancouver Building By-Law, Gas Act and Regulations, NFPA and the Sewer and Watercourse Bylaws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews infractions with owners/contractors/installers, notifies and discusses the corrections that are required.
- Conducts re-inspections and follow-ups on outstanding work and/or violations
- Maintains accurate inspection records and prepares concise inspection reports.
- Examines and interprets plans and specifications to ensure compliance with requirements of plumbing, sprinkler, sewer, drainage and gas installations and systems.
- Duties will mainly focus on field inspections, plan review, entering information into a computerized tracking & retrieval system
- Liaising with other District Inspectors, City Sewer crews and interpreting City infrastructures
- Working as part of a coordinated enforcement team for various programs.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, preferably supplemented by technical courses; completion of the Plumbing Apprenticeship and extensive experience as a journeyman
- Registered as a Journeyman Plumber with the Province of BC supplemented with a Cross Connection Certificate;
- Extensive experience as a foreman, superintendent or contractor, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Preference will be giving to candidates whom have completed Part 3 and Part 9 of the Building by-law
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Class B-Gas Fitters License and Certificate of Qualification as a Gas Safety Officer or be eligible for a Certificate of Qualification as a Gas Safety Officer.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing and able to prepare reports; and the ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions.
- Certification for Registration from the BC Gas Safety Authority branch and some experience and/or technical courses in sprinkler installations would be an asset.
- Local area travel is a requirement of this position.
- Certificate of Qualification in Plumbing for the Province of British Columbia.
- Class B Gas Fitters License for the Province of British Columbia.
- Certificate of Competency as a Gas Inspector.
- Cross Connection Control Specialists Certificate
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Completion of the Gas safety Officer exam within the first six months of employment will be a condition for continued employment
A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position; a clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: October 25, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source