Requisition ID: 28595
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Building Inspector I performs technical work of a regulatory and inspectional nature involving inspection of all types of buildings undergoing construction, alteration or repair and determining whether the work done conforms to the approved plans and/or by-law requirements, e.g. Building, Zoning and Sign By-laws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position also records the results of inspectional activities on-line using the Permits & Licenses computer system (POSSE); accesses information from related software to research information such as status of permits, ownership of buildings and any information necessary in assisting with day-to-day inspectional and report writing duties; reviews infractions with owners/contractors and discusses the corrections required; conducts re-inspections and follow-up on outstanding work and/or violations; maintains accurate inspection records and prepares concise inspection reports; checks plans as required and able to work with a team of inspectors and willing to take initiative to help others.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by either post-secondary school training in Building Technology at a recognized vocational institute or by an approved apprenticeship program is an asset.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in building construction, supplemented by some experience as a construction foreman, superintendent or contractor.
- Preference will also be given to applicants having completed Building By-Law related courses at a recognized institution, or having certification through the Building Officials Association of British Columbia (BOABC).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with customers, and demonstrate clear communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read plans.
- Working knowledge of computers and the ability to apply this knowledge to different systems with minimum training.
- Ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions, consistent with the requirements of various City by-laws and Departmental policies.
A Police Record Check clearance is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: April 16, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source