Director Strategic Planning & Program Management
Requisition ID: 25516
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the CFO/General Manager Finance, Risk and Supply Chain Management (FRS) The Director manages the development and ongoing evolution of strategic business plans and departmental plans within for the FRS group and ensures alignment with corporate business strategy. The Director leads the development of a customer service strategy for FRS and monitors service delivery against customer expectations and agreed service levels. Facilitates the development of key performance indicators for each department team and negotiates and sets service level agreements between FRS departments and their customers. The Director, facilitates and leads ongoing business transformation opportunities within the FRS departments as well as leads process re-engineering programs across City departments and for FRS core business processes and ensures continuous process improvement through a structured lean engineering format. With a dedicated project management office, leads projects designed to maximize the return on investment of City systems and processes and manages the portfolio of systems and business projects underway in FRS and other business groups. Acts as the chief liaison for FRS with other City departments and plays a leadership role in managing the risk management function within the FRS departments. Provides overall support to the GM and FRS teams in the ongoing evolution to a full shared service structure for core business processes and services. This includes providing leadership and guidance on staffing and employee engagement & development initiatives.
- Supports the development and review of strategic business plans for the FRS group and departmental plans within the group through planning and facilitating strategic and work planning sessions with FRS stakeholders. Ensures plans are aligned with corporate strategic plans and contain measurable goals and objectives. Ensures tracking and reporting of both strategic and operational objectives. Supports FRS stakeholders in development of key performance indicators and provides objective ongoing measurement and reporting of actual performance results against key performance indicators
- Works with FRS GM and Directors to determine “measures of success” and monitors and reports on achievement of actual results to defined measures of success and value to the City.
- Develops customer service strategy and framework for the FRS group. Develops a service catalogue for select services offered by the FRS groups; implements a performance management framework whereby partnership agreements are defined; ensures key performance indicators and service metrics are in place for services provided and facilitates discussion between customer and service provider on levels of service and metrics. Facilitates the ongoing management of the service strategy on behalf of the GM. Promotes the ongoing evolution to a service culture and establish FRS as a trusted partner to City-wide stakeholders.
- Responsible for the ongoing management and maturation of the City’s Continuous Process Improvement (CPI) program. Acts as the steward for the City’s standard process improvement methodology including regular reviews to ensure the approach best meets the needs of the City and its diverse stakeholder groups. Ensures the CPI training program supports the development of a culture of continuous improvement across City departments, including classroom training, project mentoring, and benefits realization. Leads select high priority CPI projects and report out on benefits realized across the program to City leadership.
- Works with the FRS Directors and process owners, is responsible for leading process management and improvement efforts for FRS and leading the business process sustainment teams. Identifies key opportunities within the FRS group and assembles teams of staff and/or consultants to explore new and innovative ways of delivering services across the group with the objective of improving operational efficiencies, service effectiveness and service excellence.
- Works with Technology Services stakeholders, is responsible for evaluating the business value of business technology projects, help facilitate the review and approval process for these projects, and prioritizing them according to value to the City. Chairs prioritization committees for enhancements to the City’s ERP platform (SAP) where opportunities to improve and enhance SAP and related systems are reviewed and prioritized.
- Responsible for the ongoing management of the portfolio of projects within the FRS group. This includes responsibility for Project Management Office ensuring all projects are managed effectively using professional Project management discipline and that projects are delivered on time on budget and deliver the benefits promised.
- Establishes structures to ensure appropriate governance for key City priorities including delivery of the City’s Capital Plan, the Vancouver Housing Strategy (VHS), and other operational programs. Leads the Capital Planning, Delivery, and Oversight Committee (CPDOC) in reporting progress against Capital Plan outcomes, escalating issues/risks, and supporting the coordinated delivery of the Capital Plan across multiple City departments. Supports the delivery of VHS by improving the effectiveness of the Housing Leadership Table (HLT) through the development of processes to ensure effective meetings, providing oversight to key initiatives through phase gate reviews, and report on VHS outcomes.
- Building on process re-engineering and process management efforts, develops a policy and standards framework to ensure required policies are developed and in place to guide the organization in key operations provided by the FRS groups. Develops a policy and standards repository for easy access by user groups and develops a process for the development and ongoing maintenance of required policies.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline with a PMP Certification and Lean Six Sigma Certification and a minimum of ten years work experience in strategic planning, development of performance plans with measurable goals, objectives, and operating metrics; or equivalent combination of training, education and experience (e.g. MBA; accounting; information technology)
- Considerable experience and background in leading organizations through major change and innovation including at least 8 years in a senior management level with the ability to adapt, influence and embrace change; preferably in a diverse unionized organization
- Minimum of 5 years experience in leading process re-engineering efforts in large complex organizations utilizing lean engineering and TQM models with a lean sigma certification
- Experience managing in a service environment where customer service excellence is a non negotiable expectation
- Background and experience preparing, reviewing and analyzing business cases
- Extensive project management experience and knowledge. Experience managing large portfolios of projects in a complex and diverse environment with a PMP certification.
- Understanding and experience providing support services to the diversity of disciplines within this FSG organization-experience in financial; information technology; risk management and supply chain disciplines
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of strategic planning processes and models
- A strategic thinker who sees the broad picture and understands the environment in which the business unit functions
- Knowledge and skills in continuous process improvement initiatives and in “thinking outside the conventional box” – Extensive expertise in process re-engineering and process management, specifically lean sigma designation
- Knowledge of SAP and other key enterprise applications
- Knowledge of Risk management including occupational health and safety regulations, programs and management systems, Issue management and business continuity
- Analytical skills required to effectively evaluate business case proposals
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire, lead and influence others, an innovator who stimulates others to identify improved ways of doing business
- Ability to orient a culture towards client and customer needs; ability to design a customer service strategy and framework for support services provided
- Skills and abilities in creating a service culture
- Negotiation skills necessary to negotiate agreements and skills necessary to arbitrate disputes
- Ability to perform complex business and technical analysis and to present them concisely and professionally
- Ability to lead and influence teams of professionals and consultants in process improvement and systems optimization initiatives
- Articulate with excellent communication and presentation skills both oral and written
- Ability to work with senior staff and facilitate or develop consensus between units on change initiatives
- Strong leadership skills to lead teams in large scale change initiatives
- Ability to work independently
- Strong decision maker and ability to take risks as appropriate to the business challenge
- Ability to “deliver” with a keen focus and track record for delivery and emphasis on adding value in all situations –ability to lead project teams to structured project completion
- Good knowledge of, and demonstrated ability to work with, civic, provincial and federal levels of government is an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: Feb. 7, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source