City of Prince Rupert
Director of Recreation & Community Services
September 23, 2020
October 23, 2020 Union/Exempt: Exempt
Experience the wonder of living in the gorgeous setting of BC’s northwest coast. Our majestic City of over 14,000 (with an annual influx of 250,000 visitors) abounds with natural beauty, a bustling waterfront and charming heritage buildings. Affordable housing, ocean views and all the amenities for a quality living are at hand.
Reporting to the City Manager, the Director of Recreation & Community Services is responsible for the strategic planning and asset management of the City’s Recreation Facilities to positively impact the wellbeing of individuals, our community and our built and natural environments. The successful applicant will have the confidence and ability to build lasting relationships with community services partners while promoting the growth, development and provision of recreational and community programs. The successful candidate will be able to exercise considerable independent judgment and action in strategic planning, service and bylaw development, preparing appropriate grant applications, creating new community programs, forming and maintaining community partnerships, and monitoring financial expenditures. The successful candidate will have proven City recreational or equivalent recreation experience in order to identify with and mentor the City’s recreation team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee personnel management which could include determining workforce needs, recruitment, coaching, performance planning, training, change management, discipline and termination.
- Provide community leadership in bridging community resources together;
- Research opportunities to enhance mental and physical well-being, address constraints to participation, and help to develop policy in relation to those opportunities and constraints. Implements policy and procedures for Recreation and Community Services;
- Prepare an annual operating and capital plan and budget for submission to the City Manager and their designate and ensures that approved budgets are administered and controlled;
- Develop and monitor community service agreements when established;
- Lead and support staff in areas of collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders and community groups;
- Actively participate in the Emergency Social Services program (ESS);
- Setting and maintaining high standards in customer service to promote an inclusive experience for all customers;
- Develop, implement, and monitor long-term plans, goals, and objectives focused on achieving the City’s mission and council priorities;
- Co-ordinate public involvement processes and represents the department at public and community group meetings regarding recreation and community services and facilities;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Municipal Departments, the School District and other government agencies;
- Advise the City Manager of any activity or legislation that may have an effect on the delivery of leisure services;
- Prepare reports and makes recommendations to the City Manager on topics relating to the management of the recreation department, its services and facilities;
- Managing personnel issues, including administering collective agreements and engaging with relevant internal and external parties to resolve disputes;
- Identify and prepare grant applications and pursues fundraising for capital projects and new services in collaboration with city management;
- Responsible for the department’s procurement process and its management of capital projects;
- The Director is accountable for safe work practices; and
- Cultivate a work environment committed to the health, safety and wellness of all employees.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related Recreation Management or Resource Management discipline;
- Minimum of five (5) years of management experience in a municipal recreation setting;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered;
- Demonstrated experience in project management;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence; and
- Criminal background check with vulnerable sector check will be required of the successful applicant.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of recreation delivery systems and passion for philosophies that enhance community mental and physical well-being;
- Good knowledge of the statutes, bylaws, regulations and policies affecting recreation services;
- Ability to work with staff in developing, monitoring and evaluating goals and objectives relating to the Recreation Department;
- Ability to provide leadership, management and technical assistance to staff and community organizations;
- Ability to interpret, report and provide advice and guidance on a variety of technical matters;
- Ability to plan, budget, assign and evaluate the work of staff engaged in a variety of recreation and culture service functions;
- Ability to analyze complex data to identify and resolve problems;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong public presentation skills and experience in facilitating community development and public process; and the ability to write concise and complex reports; and
- Strong knowledge and ability in the area of conflict resolution.
Please submit your cover letter and resume with your salary expectations to:
City of Prince Rupert
424 – 3rd Avenue West,
Prince Rupert, BC, V8J 1L7
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source