Director of Human Resources
Regular Full-time (Exempt)
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is seeking to recruit an innovative and results orientated Human Resources leader to join our senior leadership team. As a result of an internal promotion for the current incumbent, the City of Coquitlam is excited to fill this critical position in our newly established Corporate Services department, reporting to the General Manager, Corporate Services. Our Corporate Services Department includes: Corporate Planning, Corporate Communications, Information and Communications Technology and Human Resources. The Director Human Resources has a team of four excluded managers consisting of the Labour and Employee Relations Manager, Employment and HR Advisory Services Manager, Health and Safety Manager as well as the Organizational Development and Training Manager. This position has eleven indirect reports including a team of HR Advisors, Coordinators and Assistants.
As the successful candidate to this leadership opportunity, you can look forward to taking on an award winning team with recent accomplishments including national and provincial recognition for our leadership development program, excellence in organizational safety and being named a B.C. Top Employer. As Director, you will be involved in and provide high level, strategic support which includes being responsible for leading, developing and implementing strategies in the realm of labour relations, recruitment, employee development, organizational design, performance management, compensation and benefits. The Director is an integral part of the senior leadership team and plays a significant role in managing all aspects of human resources within the City.
You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with the General Manager Corporate Services in developing and delivering strategic advice to council, executive team and the City Manager on human resources matters. In this role you may prepare and present reports to senior leadership or Council in alignment with current policies and legislated requirements. This position will be responsible for overseeing a budget, developing a divisional operational plan, participating in public meetings when required and regularly providing advice or information to the General Manager Corporate Services.
This exciting role requires both an understanding of human resources and the corporate vision of the City while also modeling a positive leadership culture within the organization. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders and community groups. The Director Human Resources is an integral part of a dynamic senior management team and thus building and maintaining healthy relationships with peers, subordinates and leadership will be a critical component to success in this role.
Professional qualifications in Business, Public Administration, Human Resources and/or another related field, plus management and senior administrative experience within a unionized, municipal or regional government setting is essential. Holding a CPHR designation or a Masters Degree in a relevant field will be considered an asset. The high-energy and leadership demands of this position will provide a passionate individual with a great fit and opportunities for both personal and professional growth.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deliver human resources expertise to multiple parties such as Council and executive team; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical human resources issues that have organizational impacts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with colleagues, members of the public and external agencies.
- Experience leading staff on divisional strategies and business plan objectives.
- Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment centred around team focused, fast-paced workplace design.
- Extensive experience in a unionized environment and building and maintaining relationships with union leadership.
- Strong financial skills through experience managing budgets, analyzing expenditures and familiarity with cost sharing negotiations.
- Experience working within or alongside local government teams, other public sector organizations and external stakeholders such as Metro Vancouver.
- Experience in coaching, developing and providing leadership to their team, peers and management in an effort to foster a culture of high performance and service excellence.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to identify and interpret emerging issues.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online and submit your resume in confidence at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55pm on October 12, 2020.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
View Original Source Source