Director of Finance
The City of Fernie, located in a spectacular natural setting in southeastern British Columbia is seeking an experienced Director of Finance.
Fernie is a true mountain community, featuring world class outdoor recreation, a thriving cultural scene, the enthusiasm of a vibrant youthful population and a scenic, tranquil location in the heart of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Fernie is a three- hour drive west from Calgary, Alberta, and just one hour from Canadian Rockies International Airport in neighbouring Cranbrook.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and working closely with Mayor and Council, the Director of Finance will assume complete responsibility for the overall financial management of the City.
This is a unique opportunity to join the City of Fernie at a time of significant organizational renewal. The ideal candidate will have a university degree, financial designation, and a track record of growth and success in progressively senior Finance roles, preferably in public administration.
You have demonstrated experience in strategic planning and a proven ability to execute and deliver results. You have high standards and will set work objectives that are aggressive, yet realistic, and you are well respected for your professionalism, commitment, and passion.
As a key member of the senior management team for the City you will oversee a team of direct reports and provide guidance, strategic advice, and direction to organization and elected officials. You will be accountable for the effective administration of the financial affairs of the City including all accounting, budgeting, planning, debt and investment management, financial risk management, and the ongoing review and process and policy.
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated knowledge of public sector financial accounting and reporting principles and requirements under PSAB;
- Thorough knowledge of municipal legislation as it relates to finance including the Community Charter and Local Government Act;
- Ability to communicate effectively, fostering credibility and trusting relationships with Elected Officials and the public;
- Experience consulting the public and working with councils, boards, and committees;
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of software and experience with Vadim financial software;
- Ability to identify, develop, and implement solutions to reporting and business processes that are considered high risk with a financial impact to the City.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding leadership role, forward your resume and cover letter with a minimum of three (3) related references to Tall Cedars Search, by 5:00 pm PST, Wed. Sept. 30, 2020. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits, and details of the compensation. Late applications will not be considered.
Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
The City of Fernie strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, City of Fernie will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.
View Original Source Source